Views: 3382|Replies: 21

China Daily does not report this ! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-25 00:39:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 29042012 at 2012-5-25 01:51

Chen Guangcheng's brother has fled house arrest, too

Beijing (CNN) -- The brother of Chinese h uman r ights a ctivist Chen Guangcheng has fled his village in eastern China to Beijing to seek legal advice, his lawyer said Thursday.
Chen's arrival in the U.S. last week brought an end to a diplomatic firestorm between Beijing and Washington that erupted after he escaped from house arrest in  S h andong province and took to Y ouT ube to air the abuses he said his family suffered at the hands of authorities.
Chen and his wife and children have traveled to the U.S. for Chen to study at New York University, but a ctivists remain concerned that extended family such as his brother and nephew remain vulnerable to further c rackdowns.
His brother, C hen G uangfu, met with lawyer   D i n g   X i k u i    on Thursday morning to discuss the case of his son, C hen
K egui, D ing said in a phone interview with CNN.

C hen  Kegui was a rrested and accused of murder shortly after his uncle, activist Chen Guangcheng, escaped from their village of D ongs higu in S h andong province.
C hen G uangfu said earlier that his son surrendered to police and was formally arrested on May 9. But the family hasn't been allowed to see C hen K egui in c ustody, and authorities have maintained heavy s ecurity around the family's village.
Ding said he doesn't know when C hen G uangfu fled the village, when he arrived in Beijing or how long he will stay, but C hen
G uangfu told him during his visit Thursday that he escaped in the middle of the night.
D ing said C hen K egui's wife had authorized him and another l awyer to defend C hen K egui's case but was told by local officials that government lawyers had been appointed to represent him.
"We talked this morning," Ding said. "He wanted to chat about his son's case and to make sure we were still representing his case."
D ing said there are no immediate plans to visit D ongs higu village in S handong. The village has been heavily guarded since
C hen G uangcheng's escape last month, according to another l awyer,   J i a n g   T i a n y o n g  , who spoke to C hen
G uangfu briefly on the phone Thursday.

"He said the village is more guarded now, but did not get to mention if there were more p olice or thugs before the phone was cut off," Jiang said.
When asked over the phone if he heard about C hen G uangfu's escape, an official at the  Linyi P ublic S ecurity Bureau in Shandong, who refused to give his name, said, "We haven't heard of the news. We wouldn't have any information about
C hen G uangcheng."
Calls to the   L i n y i   S h a n g h o u   p olice station went unanswered.
C hen G uangcheng was sentenced in    2 0 0 6   to four years and three months in p rison for "damaging property and organizing a mob to disturb traffic," charges that his supporters say were trumped up by authorities to punish his legal advocacy for victims of what he called abusive family planning policies, including forced abortions and sterilization.
The self-taught legal activist was then held under constant lockdown in his village.
In an April video after his escape, Chen addressed the Chinese premier,   W e n    J i a b a o ,  detailing alleged abuses during the family's 18 months of heavily guarded home detention.

It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-25 00:40:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 29042012 at 2012-5-25 00:43

I congratulate him for his brave escape and courage !
What is this country doing to his people ???
It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-25 00:44:55 |Display all floors
He offered a grim account of the repercussions of his younger brother's flight, saying plainclothes officers scaled the wall of his home and kicked the door in just after midnight on 27 April, after learning of Chen Guangcheng's escape a few days before. They hooded him and took him to a police building where they handcuffed him, chained his feet, slapped him and stamped on his feet, he said. They lifted his handcuffed hands behind him so that he could not sit straight and used his belt to whip his hands while they repeatedly demanded to know how his brother had got out.

The beatings lasted "a long time" and his left thumb lost feeling, he said.

He said he had called the activists who drove his brother to Beijing after learning of the escape. He gave officers the full story after they named those involved and told them he had an obligation to help his younger brother, adding: "I don't think he's a criminal. I don't think I'm in the wrong for helping a free citizen."

Chen Guangfu said his wife, Ren Zongju, told him that after he was taken away a second group of men – this time uniformed police with shields and truncheons – charged into the home and beat her and their son, who was bleeding and calling for help. It was around this time that Chen Kegui took a knife and slashed at three officials.

Ren is on bail but could be charged with "harbouring" their son, a charge punishable by up to 10 years jail, lawyers said.

Chen Kegui is being held in a detention centre and authorities have barred family and the lawyers they chose from visiting or representing him, his father said.

Chinese authorities said he had accepted two government-appointed legal representatives.

"I think this is unfair and illegal," said Chen Guangfu. "Based on my understanding of Chen Kegui, he will never refuse the intervention of outside counsel. From Guangcheng's case, he understands thoroughly that these so-called 'legal aid lawyers' are useless."

Chen Kegui's wife, Liu Fang, who also met Reuters, said she hoped her husband's case would be treated like "a normal, criminal case".

"He must be heavily injured, I'm worried about his physical state," she said. "Inside, he might be subject to beatings."

Local government officials and police were not available for comment.

Asked for his thoughts about his brother in the US, Chen Guangfu said: "I think if he has a chance, he should take us there to have a look."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-25 00:46:48 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 29042012 at 2012-5-25 00:47

The greatest civilization on earth, I do not get it !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-25 00:54:38 |Display all floors
Your story is far too emotional and laden with propagandistic language to have any real credibility. As I understand it this fellow stabbed a few officers when resisting arrest or do you condone that?  With luck this whole village will be in America soon and this one-sided reporting will finally end. It is getting very boring and so obvious as to lack any real credibility other than to those who sponsor this diatribe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-25 01:02:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 29042012 at 2012-5-25 01:52
adolphus Post time: 2012-5-25 00:54
Your story is far too emotional and laden with propagandistic language to have any real credibility. ...

Sorry, but your reaction is also not without "emotions", a kind of emotion called "cynical" !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-25 01:10:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 29042012 at 2012-5-25 01:52

This news went like wildfire all over the world.

But China's media remains silent !

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.