Views: 24412|Replies: 30

disappointed with the chinese language   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-5-9 18:17:56 |Display all floors
Lately I am not satisfied with my progress in Chinese.I remember the words very well ,I know how to write them I remember the characters nearly all of them but my speaking ability is very poor.I can make only very small sentences and very simple ones.
Of course I lack oral practice but this is not  the reason I can say.
The chinese language has no special grammar for a student to learn but this does not make things easier.On the contrary the syntax is too simple to be understood.
I can not manage well with the 把 syntax all the time ,I can not manage with the complements like 到,着,住,出 来,出去,来,去.
I can understand the meaning of the sentences when I read them however I can not make the sentences by myself.
Not to mention about complicated sentences.I can not make them at all.
I got frustrated .I know so many words ,I remember them all not only to pronounce them but also to write in characters.My teacher says that the chinese people  will understand all the words I am pronouncing ,I use the tones correctly .However I am not satisfied with that since I can not make sentences by myself.The teacher can be satisfied but I am not.
I started german three months ago , the grammar is really tough ,I have no problem with that  and although I do not study it as much as the chinese , I dare to say that I am  in the same level with the chinese which I have been studying for years.
My son must be right.Somebody can not learn how to speak chinese unless he goes to China and stay for some years.

I will do my best and continue studying hard , maybe I need to do something more.
Do you agree with me ,do you have any suggestions?
the philosophy of the chinese language does not get into moulds,does not follow rules for a student to follow as well.

I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-5-9 18:41:43 |Display all floors
Somebody can not learn how to speak chinese unless he goes to China and stay for some years.

I have seen several exemples that contradict this statement but I believe it's mostly true.

Thing is you study Chinese back home and you'll get good basics, then it will be much easier when you come to China.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-9 18:52:18 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-5-9 18:41
I have seen several exemples that contradict this statement but I believe it's mostly true.

Thing ...

this is what I am doing but...the problem is apparent.When I was in China for a month last year I had a great progress just a few days before leaving the country

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-5-9 18:55:15 |Display all floors
xilaren Post time: 2012-5-9 18:52
this is what I am doing but...the problem is apparent.When I was in China for a month last year I  ...

Well, you weren't expecting to progress BEFORE you got to practice now, did you ?
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-9 21:10:08 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-5-9 18:55
Well, you weren't expecting to progress BEFORE you got to practice now, did you ?

I do not know what you mean.I have just underlined the syntax parts which make me confused and plan to ask the teacher ,in addition I decided to learn phrases by heart and ask  myself questions and answer by myself.I am decided to focus on that

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-4 11:45:57 |Display all floors
Problem with studying it not in China is that it's a lot harder to find people who speak it regulary. I live in a town which has a huge Chinese population but i am always too shy to speak it because if i ask for something in chinese i'll get a reply in Chinese and i can guarantee i will not know what the person said unless i ask them to repeat it slower - and if they did that, i still wont catch it.

I've been studying it on and off since 2007 and somedays it just feels like im making no actual progress.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-4 14:22:48 |Display all floors
marcusd74 Post time: 2012-6-4 11:45
Problem with studying it not in China is that it's a lot harder to find people who speak it regulary ...

oh yes the same to me.Any time I ask in chinese people believe that my chinese is rather good enough to understand their answer.If I put my knowledge skills into categories my writing is the first ,my speaking the second and my understanding the last with a big difference.
I read an article in a greek newspaper about the chinese language and chinese is sharacterised as the language of patience .I have patience and of course insistence

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.