Views: 35817|Replies: 25

What's your opinion on Chinglish?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-11 10:37:36 |Display all floors
Chinglish has become accepted by more and more people, and some of its phrases, expressions and sentences has been introduced to English as standard English. Such as the sentence "long time no see". Actually it's a wrong sentence. However, most people using it in daily greeting ,also the foreigners. Likewise, "Guanxi" a word used in China to describe a type of relationship, is seen in English media all the times. What's your opinion on Chinglish?

End time: 2012-5-11 10:23

Pro view (13)

PROS: Chinglish is funny and impressive. As long as it will not result in misunderstanding, we should treat it with tolerant attitude.

Con view (3)

CONS: Chingish is rubbish, mangled English and can tarnish the original charm of English, we should try our utmost to wipe out the Chinglish.

Debater:2 ( Join )

Debater:1 ( Join )

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-4-12 06:21:04 |Display all floors
The primary purpose of language is to communicate. If 'chinglish' helps people communicate then so much the better.
To me, language is utilitarian. If someone is something of a language purist that is their business. They don't have to
use words they don't like. That won't stop the rest of us from speaking the way we want to speak.
The Oxford English Dictionary adds hundreds of words every year, the latest entries include "Sexting", "Cyberbullying", and
"Retweet". So why not "guanxi" if its not already in there..
Languages have always morphed so why should the English language stop dead in its tracks starting today?

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-12 10:24:19 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-4-12 06:21
The primary purpose of language is to communicate. If 'chinglish' helps people communicate then so m ...

I do agree with you that language is a tool of commucation. But in my opinion, it depends. If we speak English with a foreigner, Chinglish or not, as long as it makes sense, it is ok. But when put it in written English, standard English should be first priority.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-12 12:06:48 |Display all floors
China has the largest english speaking population in the world ,  Chinglish will change the way people speak english
Whose @$$ can i blow sunshine up today ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-12 12:41:37 |Display all floors
language is just a tool, i think it should keeps the pace of the world development.....in my humble opinion, i think it will be evolution a common english all over the world...all of people will use the same english. no difference pronounce. no difference words and so on...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-12 13:38:09 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-4-12 06:21
The primary purpose of language is to communicate. If 'chinglish' helps people communicate then so m ...

As matter of a fact, Chinglish is more welcomed than Standard English among Chinese young people. When they speak Chinglish, they can fully understand each other. But do you think some ungrammatical sentences or spellings can be accepted as standard English?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-4-12 13:50:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2012-4-11 21:50
lindasun0102 Post time: 2012-4-11 21:38
As matter of a fact, Chinglish is more welcomed than Standard English among Chinese young people.  ...

""But do you think some ungrammatical sentences or spellings can be accepted as standard English?""

It doesn't really matter does it? If you are worried about the language police then you should study
more. But you have to ask yourself if its worth it just to satisfy someone else.
Learning more is good but there is such a thing as diminishing returns.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.