Views: 13058|Replies: 36

Shanghai police brush up English as the number of foreigners rises   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-9 15:57:14 |Display all floors
This post was edited by goldengrove at 2012-4-9 15:57

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-04/09/content_15000608.htm

Senior police officers in Shanghai are taking English-language training courses to help them better deal with increasing numbers of foreign nationals in the city.

About 100 top-level officers from the city's public security bureau and district bureau chiefs began their nine-month courses at the weekend.

"More and more foreigners are coming to work and live here, and this presents greater challenges for the city's police," said Guo Yonghua, deputy director of the Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau.

"The city's public security departments have been looking to develop high-quality police officers to deal with the demands of foreign affairs."

English-language training company Wall Street English have developed a range of tailor-made courses, including "senior police officer English ability training", "Shanghai police officer online English learning and social practice", and "oral English corner".

The courses focus on improving English listening and speaking skills, with native speakers providing one-on-one training. Trainees will do the courses in their spare time.

Chen Changjun, deputy director of the command center of the public security bureau, was one of 30 officers who took English training courses in 2009.

"I already had some foundation in English when I was in school, but I used it little after I graduated. This training gave me a chance to improve and helped me to better deal with daily work," Chen said at the launch of the training program on Friday.

"As Shanghai attracts more people from overseas, so the city has to intensify its efforts to fight an increasing number of international crimes. There is a greater need for language skills," Chen said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another sign that Shanghai is becoming a global city, although I do believe they should also learn some other foreign languages.

Also, may I know how often do foreingers have to go to the police in Shanghai? (or in China in general?)  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 16:36:29 |Display all floors
Wow - foreigners account for less than 0,5 percent of Shanghai's population and government officials already learn english for such a small share. That's some nice dedication :)

But seriously - how often do police officers have to interact with foreigners? I mean, when I was in China I hardly had any officials interactions with police officers .
Do you think it is really necessary for police officers to improve their english or is it just a nice brain exercise?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 16:45:00 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-4-9 16:36
Wow - foreigners account for less than 0,5 percent of Shanghai's population and government officials ...

Indeed, that's what I want to know: is it really necessary?

On the other hand, when some foreigners do go to the local police, the case may turn into one of national importance or even with international implications as one Japanese whose bike was stolen in Wuhan would tell you.

Well, I guess "face" is at least one of the reasons behind this initiative.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 16:52:36 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-9 16:39
Rather than brushing up English, these Chinese cops should be told to read their rule books more.

L ...

Indeed, it's the tax-payers' money they are spending. They might as well spend it wisely.

But, at the end of the day, better foreign language skills may prove to be handy after all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 17:15:28 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-9 17:02
This is the same waste money schemes dream up by some "nothing to do" office twits!
No long ago, ' ...

That civil servant sheme is a total waste of money.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 17:27:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by greatlady at 2012-4-9 17:29
goldengrove Post time: 2012-4-9 16:45
Indeed, that's what I want to know: is it really necessary?

On the other hand, when some foreigne ...

No, it is for work and good service purposes.

There are many police who speak very fluent English when handle the foreigners case. esp.those who work for visa issues.

It is about the improvement of qualification.

LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 17:33:46 |Display all floors
Now i go to shanghai and get arrest by police and they can help with my english.     

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.