Author: aki1

How dead airplanes get a second life [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-1 11:09:16 |Display all floors
Bio-Luminum style

The game: spot the airplane. It's there, in its new form as Bio-Luminum, and it's clean, understated and stylish. Green doesn't have to mean crunchy.
5.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-1 11:12:41 |Display all floors
A house from a Boeing 747

Architect David Hertz designed this Wing House in Malibu from the wing of a Boeing 747 for a client who requested "curvilinear, feminine shapes." While the roof looks durable, we can't help wondering what it sounds like when it rains.

6.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-1 11:13:02 |Display all floors
Wing House practicality

Given the strength and durability of aircraft aluminum, building a home from a former aircraft seems both practical and green.
7.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-1 11:13:33 |Display all floors
A private home from an airplane (or two)

Joe Axline's ongoing airplane home project, "Project Freedom," involves not one but two airplanes.

Axline works in IT, but with father who used to fly for Pan Am, has always had an interest in airplanes. "When I was a 15 years old my dad would drive me to the airport so I could get in an airplane and go fly around the country," says Axline.
A private home from an airplane (or two).png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-1 11:16:28 |Display all floors
A private home from an airplane (or two)

And it seems Axline's passion for aircrafts has been passed down to his children. "My son Wesley loves to shoot his airsoft gun from the door like a sniper and my daughter Sabrina loves to hang a strap out the other side and swing," says Axline.

"The baggage compartments are really huge and will be turned into the kids game room."

Coolest dad in the world, or what?
A private home from an airplane (or two)1.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-1 11:16:58 |Display all floors
Once a Boeing 737, now an artificial reef

"The reef attracts divers from all around the world," says Deidre Forbes McCracken, director of public relations at the Artificial Reef Society of British Columbia.

This artificial reef, off the coast of British Columbia, is so covered in algae that it's hard to believe that it was once airborne. "It sits in
1.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-2 19:47:48 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.