Views: 4086|Replies: 7

Should "courageous students" be awarded extra points in Gaokao? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-1 10:19:25 |Display all floors
Starting from 2014, high school students in Shandong will be awarded an extra 20 points in the National College Entrance Examination, or Gaokao, if they are deemed to have performed "courageous acts", i.e. helping fight crimes or diving into the river to save drowning people.

As Gaokao is becoming ever more competitive, 20 points will give a huge boost to any student who hopes to be enrolled into a decent college.

While some applaud the move, others have their reservations.

What do you make of the move?

Pro view (2)

The move will encourage more young people to help others and take more responsibility, which is good for the society.

Con view (2)

The move will encourage more young people to take unnecessary risks - they may get hurt or even killed - to earn the extra points.

Debater:1 ( Join )

Debater:2 ( Join )

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-9 00:46:26 |Display all floors
I'm against this move as it might encourage students to risk their life for 20 points...
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 10:34:06 |Display all floors
I'm all for the policy, at least for its intentions. In a society in which people are becoming ever more materialistic and being a good Samaritan is actually frowned upon, this policy makes sense.

For one thing, 20 points can make a huge difference in the national exam - between hell and heaven in some cases. The students may well be encouraged to perform "courageous deeds", if they see it's worth it.  

It's true that there might be risks, but between the incentives and the risks, why not leave them to decide?

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-4-9 10:48:11 |Display all floors
goldengrove Post time: 2012-4-9 11:34
I'm all for the policy, at least for its intentions. In a society in which people are becoming ever  ...

I agree with what the Panda said.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-4-9 10:58:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 468259058 at 2012-4-9 11:00

It's in my hometown - Shandong province.

high school students
if they had performed "courageous acts", i.e. helping fight crimes or jumping into the river to save drowning people,
those high school students would be awarded an extra 20 points in the National College Entrance Examination, or Gaokao
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-9 12:55:48 |Display all floors
Not sure about exactly how valuable the points are, although I know that exams are extremely competitive.

There are, of course, better ways to tell the students to be good persons. The more they tend to do good on their own -- not because of ulterior motives, perhaps the better. But I agree that people all respond to incentives and "courageous acts" do not necessarily mean you have to lose your life.
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-4-9 13:22:21 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 468259058 at 2012-4-9 13:24
DanseMacabre Post time: 2012-4-9 12:55
Not sure about exactly how valuable the points are, although I know that exams are extremely competi ...

We wish more and more good people around us, especially when more and more mainland Chinese dare not to help other people after "Peng Yu" law case of Nanjing.

However, we are not living in Mao Zedong's time. And fighting crimes is one of major responsibilities of National Congress and city council (legislation),  police, etc. Fighting crimes among communist party (government) leaders are one of major responsibilities of Communist Party committee and Communist Party disciplinary committee.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.