Views: 6370|Replies: 20

[Discussion] The problem of corruption   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-27 11:05:10 |Display all floors
News from: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-03/27/content_14917834.htm

The government will mull over the possibility of publicizing assets of officials to a limited circle as an effort to fight corruption, Premier Wen Jiabao said on Monday.

"Corruption is the most crucial threat to the ruling party," Wen said at the State Council's annual conference on anti-corruption work, adding that corruption may completely undermine the country's political foundations if not handled properly.

Despite taking consistent measures to fight corruption in previous years, Wen conceded that the overall performance of the government and officials has yet to meet the public's expectations.

Reader ito thinks that ""One country,two systems",China can learn from Hong Kong on counter-corruption ,accepting media supervision.corruption is a tumour to the country.but a patient need courage to remove it by himself.Pain is unavoidable. "
While another reader just takes corruption as a commonplace, "where there is a government, there is a corruption."

What do you think of the problem of corruption in your country?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-27 15:00:32 |Display all floors
In my country corruption is most likely a minor problem. General waste of funds due to neglect or incompetence is greater problem.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-27 15:08:17 |Display all floors
In philosophical, theological, or moral discussions, corruption is spiritual or moral impurity or deviation from an ideal. In economy, corruption is payment for services or material which the recipient is not due, under law. This may be called bribery, kickback, or, in the Middle East, baksheesh. In government it is when an elected representative makes decisions that are influenced by vested interest rather than their own personal or party ideological beliefs.

Taking the definition of corruption related to government, as a politician is meant to represent the people who elected them into power, they should make decisions based on the ideological beliefs of the voters, and not necessarily their personal beliefs... so is, by definition, democracy corrupt?
Mr. Daniel Walsh (BEng/工学学士, MSc/理学硕士)

E-Mail/电子邮箱: daniel_hs_walsh@hotmail.com
LinkedIN Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/danielhswalsh

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-27 15:52:04 |Display all floors
daniel_hs_walsh Post time: 2012-3-27 15:08
Taking the definition of corruption related to government, as a politician is meant to represent t ...

I suppose everything should be moderate in degree. Corruption really go against the original intention of setting up a government, but rooting out corruption is impossible because that is almost defying the human nature. So I believe corruption is just a down side of a government. As long as it is within control, I think its existence is OK~~However, as for the degree, everyone has his own definition so complaints arei inevitable as well...I should say this is really a complex problem.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-27 15:55:37 |Display all floors

just still consider..

year after year,just say ,not do

just consider--until thousands of years

one can continue to say to consider
I am an English fan  and interested in it which makes me study hard.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-27 15:56:49 |Display all floors
travellinglight Post time: 2012-3-27 15:52
I suppose everything should be moderate in degree. Corruption really go against the original inten ...

Complex is an understatement! I speak with a close friend of mine about this problem frequently, he is Chinese and is interested in my opinion on the subject.

Humans will, by nature, try and benifit from a situation, as long as the individuals benifit does not negativly impact others, then I see no problem with it. If a government official accepts some cash from a road building company, and the road gets built to a good quality and a reasonable price, I see no problem with this, but if the offical accepts money from a construction company who build schools, and those schools fall down, the government officail should bu hungm drawn and quartered!
Mr. Daniel Walsh (BEng/工学学士, MSc/理学硕士)

E-Mail/电子邮箱: daniel_hs_walsh@hotmail.com
LinkedIN Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/danielhswalsh

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-27 16:00:01 |Display all floors
daniel_hs_walsh Post time: 2012-3-27 15:56
Complex is an understatement! I speak with a close friend of mine about this problem frequently, h ...

The schools that are built by those bribers of course would be of poorer quality, or why they pay bribes?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.