Views: 4947|Replies: 6

Apple abuse hoaxer assures an end to all Apple criticism, wrong and right. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-19 21:44:26 |Display all floors
This post was edited by matt605 at 2012-3-19 10:31

The criticism of Apple's Chinese manufacturer, Foxconn, assures that no further criticism of Apple or its suppliers will gain traction in the United States.

In the New York Times, their media reporter explained why such hoaxes will persist,

"There is nothing in the journalism playbook to prevent a determined liar from getting one over now and again. It is partly because seekers of truth expect the same from others."

These statements run contrary to what I learned in high school journalism.

Everything I was taught in high school about journalism is that it's not built on trusting sources. It's built on readers trusting news organizations, and news organizations trusting reporters, and reporters not even trusting their own knowledge of how to correctly spell the name "Smith" or"Smyth" or "Smythe."

I cannot agree that good editing, good fact-checking, and free plagiarism software will not stop a hoaxer. All of these things do stop intentional misconduct every day, eve
n at the junior high school level. If good news were like a business expense, then we would expect to see many verifications and approvals in a process that takes a story from idea to distribution to millions of people at an expense of millions of dollars.

There is a lesson to be learned here for reporters, but it's not one that should be learned: it is trust only those sources who are referred to you through Ivy-league social contacts. These sources will have the good sense to not exaggerate, but instead allow the journalist to do the promoting. Where the big news won't sell a book or fill a seat, other factors like coolness and identity can.  
The source must however trust the journalist to package the book or show for the news organization's circulation base. If a problem on factualness later develops, then the social infrastructure that brought source and journalist together can successfully manage the issue through a walk-backprocess if ever so necessary.  The Ivy-league investigative journalist who uncovers half-empty vending machines because the low in-factory prices encourage hoarding is preferred to the upstart whose claims could be unsubstantiated regardless of their ultimate truthfulness.

As it is, it will be a long time before anyone criticizes Apple again, wrongly or rightly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/business/media/theater-disguised-up-as-real-journalism.html?scp=2&sq=carr&st=cse
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-19 23:15:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2012-3-19 23:16

look objectively at the whole episode.

Americans seem to care more for the welfare of Chinese workers associated with Apple than the Chinese government cares for their welfare or indeed the Chinese citizens cares and indeed

the truth is that Chinese prefers to work for Foxconn than  small SME Chinese factories.  
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-20 13:36:03 |Display all floors
Studying

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-20 14:41:47 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-3-19 23:15
look objectively at the whole episode.

Apple only cares because it gets bad press coverage from the situation at the factories.
Mr. Daniel Walsh (BEng/工学学士, MSc/理学硕士)

E-Mail/电子邮箱: daniel_hs_walsh@hotmail.com
LinkedIN Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/danielhswalsh

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-20 18:02:28 |Display all floors
daniel_hs_walsh Post time: 2012-3-20 14:41
Apple only cares because it gets bad press coverage from the situation at the factories.

that is fair.

But American public seems to care while Chinese public dont care.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-20 21:23:56 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-3-20 05:02

Yes, Americans corporations only worry about bad news, not bad conditions.  

The American public is conditioned to dislike bad working conditions, but China has been responsive to the health and safety concerns of its workers.  No one is perfect, and China is a lot better than it was.  

That said, China is not as clean and safe as America, but before everything in America was made in China, America was not all that clean and safe either.  The most dangerous thing that Americans face in their work environments these days is sugar.  Obesity and diabetes are big problems here!

龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-20 22:16:46 |Display all floors
matt605 Post time: 2012-3-20 21:23
Yes, Americans corporations only worry about bad news, not bad conditions.  

The American public  ...
  1. The most dangerous thing that Americans face in their work environments these days is sugar.
Copy code
if sugar is the most dangerous thing, 90% of the world will be glad to change place with you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.