Views: 982|Replies: 0

Awesome Book Art Arrives in Hong Kong [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-16 13:03:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by angela627 at 2012-3-16 13:04

Posted by Katie Hosmer

Mike Stilkey is at it again! Recently, high-end retail boutique Joyce asked the L.A.-based artist to do an installation for the opening of their flagship store in Hong Kong. What a spectacular way to showcase a selection of his whimsical characters who bring new life to giant stacks of old books! Rather than creating just one large-scale piece, Stilkey decided to create a handful of mid-sized pieces that were displayed throughout the store.

The artist chooses this unique canvas for painting because he said, “There is something weighty and sacred about a book. I really like the idea of taking these discarded books that were once so important to someone and upcycling them into a piece of art instead of seeing them pulped or destroyed. In a way, I feel as though I am saving and immortalizing them.”

Stilkey2.jpg
Stilkey1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.