Views: 6202|Replies: 11

Lawmaker suggests China keep death penalty   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-15 07:36:37 |Display all floors

Lawmaker suggests China keep death penalty

(Xinhua)10:51, March 13, 2012

BEIJING, March 13 (Xinhua) -- It's not time yet for China to scrap the death penaltyand it should remain in place for a long time in the future to deter serious crimes, alawmaker said at the annual parliamentary session.

Fang Zhiyuan, a deputy to the National People's Congress, made the remark during apanel discussion on the work reports of the Supreme People's Court and the SupremePeople's Procuratorate.

Two kinds of crimes -- those endangering people's lives and safety and embezzlementof large sums from public properties -- should be subject to capital punishment,according to Fang, who is also a history professor with the Jiangxi Normal University.

In his opinion, endangering people's lives and safety also includes crimes concerning the production and sale of harmful food and/or drugs to large numbers of people.

"These crimes cause great harm to social harmony and economic development," hesaid. "Showing mercy for criminals convicted of these crimes is irresponsible."

"We don't have to abolish the death penalty simply because some developed countries have done so," said the professor.

He also suggested prison terms be extended for people convicted of embezzling large sums from public properties.

"These convicts should be sentenced to 30, 50 or even 100 years," he said.

(Editor:雪萌)

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-8 05:13:46 |Display all floors
The death penalty is needed to help prevent fraud and theft by bankers and party members.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-8 07:26:40 |Display all floors

RE: Lawmaker suggests China keep death penalty

This post was edited by sansukong at 2012-12-8 07:01
philo09 Post time: 2012-12-8 04:13
The death penalty is needed to help prevent fraud and theft by bankers and party members.

As corruption is rampant in China, capital punishment would act as a strong deterrent to the crime, though not necessary be the absolute solution. The fact of the matter is: How the law is been enforced is more crucial than
the legislation itself.   {:soso_e183:}

FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-8 09:36:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 29042012 at 2012-12-8 11:17

I learned that it is discussed in the CPC to include offeners who deny climate change.
It is indeed very practical that the party is  judge, legislator, head of the army, executor  and  publisher  all in one in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-8 10:56:45 |Display all floors
29042012 Post time: 2012-12-8 09:36
I learned that it is discussed in the CPC to include offenses like climate change deniers.

That will do a lot of good for China.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-9 12:44:55 |Display all floors
philo09 Post time: 2012-12-8 07:13

clearly it worked really well
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-9 12:57:53 |Display all floors
When you find a country that has abolished capital punishment for ALL CRIMES, even those involving brutal murders of innocent victims, you KNOW that the INMATES HAVE TAKEN OVER THE ASYLUM.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.