Views: 9233|Replies: 23

Assad: No political solution possible with armed groups   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-11 14:17:42 |Display all floors
"No political solution is possible," hmm, that's a splap on the face.

Updated: 2012-03-11 10:32 (Xinhua) 7.jpg

DAMASCUS - Syrian President Bashar al-Assadreiterated Saturday that any political dialogue is doomed to fail "so longas there are armed groups that work to foment anarchy and destabilize the country,"while the opposition placed the blame for the armament of some groups on the government'scrackdown.

During his meeting with Kofi Annan, joint specialenvoy for Syriaof the United Nations and Arab League (AL), Assad said that any political dialogueor political process could not succeed so long as there are "armed terroristgroups" working to spread anarchy and destabilize the country through targetingcivilians and military personnel and smashing public and private properties.

Assad stressed that Syria is ready to make any"honest" effort to find a solution to the current crisis, adding that"the success of any effort necessitates first a study of what is happeningon the ground, instead of depending on visual space circulated by some regionaland international states to distort facts and give a diverse picture to what Syriais passing through."

For his part, Annan, who arrived in the Syriancapital of Damascus on Saturday to mediate the year-long crisis, stressed his "commitmentto working in a just, evenhanded and independent way," and voiced "rejectionof any foreign interference in Syrian affairs" as well as his belief in a peacefulsolution.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said Fridaythat Annan was scheduled to talk with Assad in Damascus upon arrival, adding thatAnnan's priority was to immediately halt all fighting between the government forcesand opposition fighters -- if not simultaneously, first by the government troopsand followed by the opposition.

After meeting the Syrian president, Annan metwith some opposition figures in Damascus, mainlyHassan Abdul-Azim, head of the National Coordination Body for the forces of NationalDemocratic Change, who said the Syrian government was responsible for the armamentof some groups in Syria,citing the government's alleged crackdown on dissents.

"Some people are obliged to arm themselvesdue to the continuation of violence," Abdul-Azim said after an hour-long meetingwith Annan.

He said there must be a ceasefire and the releaseof all detainees, adding that there should be a coordination between the AL andthe United Nations to solve the crisis in the country.

The crisis in Syria is "complicated and wentthrough dangerous phases," he said, stressing that no solution could be reachedin light of violence, murder, arrest and displacement.

"There should be a solution to the crisisbecause our people are suffering," he said, but made it clear that "thereis no horizon for a foreign military intervention."

Before arriving in Syria, Annan said Thursday in Cairo that " ultimately the solution (toSyrian crisis) lies in a political settlement."

"I hope that no one is thinking very seriouslyof using force in this situation. I believe any further militarization would makethe situation worse," he said.

Militarizing the rebels in Syria has recentlybeen put on the table after the broad-based opposition groups such as the SyrianNational Council called for rendering military aid to the Free Syrian Army (FSA),an anti-Assad armed rebels, as the sole way to oust Assad.

The FSA has been fighting the government forcesin several Syrian provinces, such as the focal point province of Homsand northern Idilb province.

In their latest clashes in al-Hamameh area ofIdlib, 14 of the government soldiers were killed, while many of the armed rebelswere arrested and their weapons and communication devices were seized, accordingto the private Sham FM radio.

We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-11 19:39:09 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2012-3-11 19:49

Enlightened countries
Modern countries.
They believe no one is indispensable.

The head of government will resign as soon as thing go out of hand and people starts dying.

Medieval countries, feudal countries.

They still believe protecting queen bees is the number one priority.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-11 19:51:47 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-11 20:32:41 |Display all floors
Hahaha, welcome back the ugly black duck!
And I was thinking what to have for suppa!

Bambay duck and curried stirred fries.
Nice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-11 20:33:56 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-12 02:00:50 |Display all floors
Bombay_plumber Post time: 2012-3-11 20:32
Hahaha, welcome back the ugly black duck!
And I was thinking what to have for suppa!

in many ways India is still a feudal medieval country despite appearances of voting papers.

it is still Gandhi dynasty.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-12 04:59:30 |Display all floors
   NEVER AGAIN  !

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.