Views: 7156|Replies: 50

[Lianghui] Chinese democracy -- non-Western style   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-2 11:00:46 |Display all floors
lianghui re.jpg

China has always been fully committed to democracy.

Chinese democracy, adhering to the universal value and the basic principles of democracy, has distinct Chinese characteristics. One of these is the system of multi-party cooperation and political consultation under the leadership of the Communist Party of China  (CPC), which, perhaps you all know, is showcased every year during the annual "Lianghui" or "two sessions". This year, of course, is no exception.

The system of multi-party cooperation and political consultation is a basic political system in China under which the Communist Party of China, as the party in power, consults all non-Communist parties and representatives of non-party personages to reach a common understanding before taking major decisions. Formally established in 1949 when New China was founded, the system is practiced through various forms. The two major forms are the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, of which non-Communist party members and non-party personages are members, and the consultative conferences attended by non-Communist parties and unaffiliated democrats who are invited by the CPC bodies at different levels.

As a basic political system with people's democracy, the system of multi-party cooperation and political consultation under the leadership of the CPC is not adversarial or competitive like the one in Western countries, but collaborative and consultative. It can achieve wide political participation of the democratic parties, mass organizations and people of all walks of life, and promote the scientific and democratic decision-making of the party in power and the governments at all levels. Moreover, it can avoid both the problem of insufficient supervision common under one party rule, and political chaos and a lack of stability and unity that may be caused by the disputes and strife among several parties.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-2 22:46:26 |Display all floors
the leadership of the CPC is not adversarial or competitive like the one in Western countries, but collaborative and consultative.

In other words: no matter how poor government officials peform and how corrupt or bad they are, people can't get rid of them by any means and just have to adhere to their rules.

Moreover... why is it called democracy if the people can't choose their government themselves?

Theere certainly are advantages in the Chinese system like the fact that a autocratic government has a much longer future perspecitve and doesn't just consider the time until the next election or that it can bring a certain stability to a country which attracts foreign investors or that decisions can be made much quicker than in democracies as individual rights can be ignored if the collective gain is bigger. But this article doesn't quite grab it.

Moreover, there are western countries in which the cabinet or the respective executive bodies are usually made up out of diffrent parties, which is for instance often the case in European nations.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-2 22:51:53 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-3-2 22:46
In other words: no matter how poor government officials peform and how corrupt or bad they are, pe ...
like the fact that a autocratic government has a much longer future perspecitve

Do you have ANY statistical correlation to verify that claim and falsify all valid research on this hitherto that found your swiss direct democracy the most long term oriented in the results so far with and opposite correlation, finding the view increasingly short seighted and opportunistic with decreasing democratic participation?
Do you have ANYTHING?
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-3 01:19:22 |Display all floors
LCSULLA Post time: 2012-3-2 21:51
Do you have ANY statistical correlation to verify that claim and falsify all valid research on t ...

The only thing I have is a headache after reading your question, which, methinks is what it was designed to do.
I agree with the previous poster though. The people cannot directly choose their leadership, even at county level generally speaking. If this is democracy, then I wonder what isn't!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-3 01:51:07 |Display all floors
Why Chinese insist on calling it democracy, a Western concept

And not settle for calling it queen bee ism.?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-3 02:29:51 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-3-2 22:46
In other words: no matter how poor government officials peform and how corrupt or bad they are, pe ...

Many western countries like the US are not democracies and were never intended to be. Today the US is ruled by bankers and their corporations. As Albert Einstein wrote, "democracy and freedom are impossible in a capitalist system".
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-3 02:31:18 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-3-3 01:19
The only thing I have is a headache after reading your question, which, methinks is what it was de ...

Regarding the County elections, consider this:

In more and more villages and counties, the elections are rigged by bribing voters.
What may not sound much of a progress, is actually in the context of china seen with a bit of frekonomics already some steps ahead from before.

If the party guys in power in those places resort to bribing the voters, it means more and more can't or don't dare anymore to stuff the ballot or rig the counting process, which means in more and more places there's trust into the due process of the election and counting itself.

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.