Author: voice_cd

iCook: Your special recipe 亮亮我的私房菜   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-14 21:22:08 |Display all floors
not only do i like smaller slices, i like them cut thinner too

but i never overload my pizzas,  thats the most common mistake, keep it simple, flat, and evenly distributed

whether 2 ingredients, or 5, they should still occupy almost the same amount of space

just how I like it too
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-14 21:33:39 |Display all floors
pineapple is not supposed to be there, I agree

"Aussie" pizza is worse. Pineapple is just one of the abominations.

but with the anchovy, kalamata, garlic, chili etc combo, it seems to work for me (nobody else eats it, yes)

Your cheese ideas sound great.

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-17 19:03:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by lebeast at 2012-3-17 21:41

I accidentally posted some Thai recipes in another thread

I will repost here:

Recipe #1

I have posted this recipe a long time ago here

But it is so authentic and so good, it is worth repeating

Gaeng phed kai - red chicken curry

The Thai name of this dish literally means "hot chicken curry".

Curry Paste
--------------

5-10 dried red chillies (note this amount is too hot for most Westerners, so use 2 or even one in the paste - you can always add  fresh chili slices as a garnish at the table)
10 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped galangal
1 tablespoon thinly sliced lemon grass
half teaspoon zest of "kaffir" lime (Tahitian lime will do, or better still, kalamansi)
1 teaspoon chopped coriander (cilantro) root
5 black pepper corns
1 tablespoon roasted coriander seeds
1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds
a dash of fish sauce
1-2 teaspoon fermented shrimp paste (kapi)

mix in a mortar and pestle, food processor or an electric spice/coffee grinder (but not the same one you use for coffee). The paste will be ok to use for a month if it is stored in a fridge. It lasts longer if you use an ice cube tray and cover it in cling film plastic. It will lose flavour after some time, because the delicious aromatic oils will evaporate from the surface.

The curry
------------

6 ounces thigh chicken (in smallish bite sized pieces)
half a cup of coconut milk
4 ounces Thai eggplant (these are small round eggplants) - this is often unavailable, so use your favourite vegies, such as carrot, red capsicum, broccoli, snow peas, but remember to add them in sequentially, because the cooking time for each vegetable varies - you don't want soggy vegetables! Example - carrot first, then broccoli, then capsicum and finally snow peas at the very end
2 kaffir lime leaves (or a little lime zest)
1 tablespoon sweet basil (alternative - holy basil)
2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon palm sugar

peanut oil for cooking
1-3 tablespoons of the red curry paste

Method
---------

cut the chicken up, then briefly fry the curry paste until fragrant,  reduce the heat, add the coconut milk slowly, and continue to stir whilst cooking until a thin film of oil apppears on the surface.

add the chicken and other ingredients except the eggplant/vegies. Bring to a boil and cook until the chicken begins to change colour. Adjust the flavors to suit yourself. When it is at a boil again add the eggplant and continue till the chicken is cooked through.

Serve over jasmine rice, or in a serving bowl with other Thai dishes.

Tips:

Jasmine rice is preferable

Store the paste overnight in the fridge, to let the flavours meld, then use an ice cube tray to freeze the paste in blocks, using it as you need, over several weeks

I don't use thai eggplant, due to availability (they are much much smaller than mediterranean aubergines) - I just use a variety of vegies, cooking them just enough to keep the "snap" to the tooth, and also water chestnuts

I sprinkle with roasted cashews, unsalted. Maybe also dried fried onion and slithers of fresh red birdseye chili, strewn with coriander leaves and maybe bean shoots for crunch

Recipe #2

This Muslim curry is one of my all time favourite home-made Thai recipes

I use whole black cardamon, from Indian/Pakstani wholefood stores

It is incredibly flavoursome

Don't bother with the potatoes. Use your favourite vegies instead, but don't overcook them.

I use chicken or prawn instead of red meat

Again, use the ice cube trick

Omit most of the chilli

I promise you, this is sublime

Gaeng Massaman Kai

The "massaman" indicates that the recipe is of a "musselman" or islamic origin, and it probably owes something to early Portuguese influences, and is similar in concept to the "sour and hot" Goan style vindaloo dishes. By Thai standards this is usually a fairly mild curry, so I find it is a good starting point.

Two points should be made

(i) the quantities are a guide only: if you like a spice use more, if you don't, use less. If your favorite spice is missing, try adding some...

(ii) the dish is cooked "when it is cooked". The meat should be cooked until tender...stop cooking when you are happy.

First you must prepare a massaman curry paste. This can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge in a jar for several weeks or even months, or ice cube tray (covered to prevent evaporative loss of the flavoursome aromatic oils)

(note 'T' = tablespoon, 't' = teaspoon)

Massaman Paste
--------------------

10-20 dried red chillies (DO NOT USE THIS AMOUNT - TRY 2-3 INSTEAD, adding fresh slices on top at the end)
1 T ground corriander seed
1 t ground cumin
1 t ground cinnamon (from fresh bark)
1 t gound cloves
1 t ground star anise
1 t ground cardamom (grind it from a whole cardamon)
1 t ground white pepper
4 T chopped shallots (i.e. the small red skinned onions)
4-6 T chopped garlic
2 2" pieces of lemon grass stalk, sliced into thin rounds
a cube about half an inch on a side of galangal root, roughly chopped
1 T "kaffir" line skin (ordinary lime skin will do if you can't get it)
1 T "kapi" (shrimp paste)

To this you add a little salt: preferably about 1-2 t of fish sauce.

The galangal is roasted before use. The ground spices should preferably be fresh, in which case you should briefly toast them in a wok without any oil to bring out the flavor before grinding them.

The ingredients are blended to a fine paste (traditionally in a heavy granite mortar and pestle, which will take an hour, but an electric spice or coffee grinder takes a few seconds and is just as good to me - but do not use the same grinder you use for coffee!)

The curry
------------

about 1 pound of chicken (you can also use pork or beef), sliced into pieces - use thighs. Breast dries out and is too tough.
If using prawns, you must put these in near the end, otherwise you will overcook them

3 cups of coconut milk.
2 T roasted peanuts (unsalted of course) - this can be left out
5 peeled, but whole, small onions.
5 small potatoes, peeled and partly boiled. (This can be left out - I usually leave it out, because the type used is Thai and not available)
3 bay leaves,  
5 roasted cardamon fruits (i.e. the whole pod)
a small piece of roasted cinnamon bark
3 T palm sugar (you can use a light brown sugar instead if you can't get palm sugar)
3 T tamarind juice. The juice is made by soaking tamarind pulp in a little water then squeezing out the juice.
3 T lime juice (fresh tahitian lime or kalamansi if you can get it)
1-3 T of the curry paste (above).
about 1-3 t crushed garlic

Allow the coconut milk to separate and you will have about 1 cup of thick "cream" and two cups of thin "milk". In a small saucepan bring the milk to a simmer and add the chicken or pork. If you are using beef you will need another two cups of milk. simmer the meat until it is beginning to become tender (beef takes longer, hence the additional milk).

Put the coconut cream in a wok and bring to a boil, add the massaman paste and "stir fry" until the flavor is brought out and maximised. The coconut oil will seperate out and can be skimmed off with a spoon or ladle. (this removes much of the vegetable cholesterol or whatever it is called, and makes the dish much less trouble for those watching their weight or heart).

Add the remaining cream and curry paste to the meat.  

Add the peanuts. taste and adjust the flavor until it is (just) sweet (by adding sugar), sour and salty (by adding tamarind juice, lime juice and fish sauce).  

Add the remaining ingredients and cook until cooked.

Enjoy...

I also leave out the peanuts

use common sense and vary it as you need to

this is a really excellent curry, restaurant quality

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-3-24 17:56:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by aziz at 2012-3-24 18:15

SDC11087 copy.jpg
CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLE IS MY TODAYS RECIPE.
This one having similarity with chinese dishes but try with my way.

Chicken -400 gm,oil- 50 gm,onion big 2 pcs,papsicum 2- sliced,carrot 2 -sliced,onion leaf -20 gm,baby corn 50 gm,button mushroom 5 pcs-sliced,salt usual,sesame oil 10 gm.Green chilli 4 pcs.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-24 18:00:09 |Display all floors
aziz Post time: 2012-3-24 17:56
CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLE IS MY TODAYS RECIPE.
This one having similarity with chinese dishes but try w ...

Wow, so much ! and perhaps we should add the photo with numbers thus readers would know the process of the dish.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-24 18:13:56 |Display all floors
Pour oil in the frypan and put the chicken in it.
SDC11089 copy.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-24 18:16:37 |Display all floors
Then add carrot in it
SDC11091 copy.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.