Views: 2876|Replies: 5

who's right, whose wrong ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-2-27 00:57:26 |Display all floors
In America they sacked the guy who wrote " chink in the armour"

In China " gweilo" , " gweichai",  " harkgwei" are all par for the course.

I still don't get  it.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-27 02:46:19 |Display all floors
its alright in HK.
its not alright in America,

who's right? whose wrong?

I don't get it.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-27 08:39:29 |Display all floors
gweilo is a term of endearment, meant no harm.

but to say chink in armour gets the sack.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-3 23:00:58 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-2-27 08:39
gweilo is a term of endearment, meant no harm.

but to say chink in armour gets the sack.

'A chink in the armour' is an old saying but the word 'chink' doesn't refer to a Chinese person. It means there is a fault or a weakness in something.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-4 03:35:34 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-2-27 02:46
its alright in HK.
its not alright in America,

They're just not PC enough over there-yet-and I hope they never will be.  Over here you need a barrister to check over what you're proposing to say before you say it.

Just in case some poor, down-trodden professional victim takes offence and and has the cops arrest you for it.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-4 05:33:14 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2015-8-4 03:35
They're just not PC enough over there-yet-and I hope they never will be.  Over here you need a bar ...

That was 2012.

I guess you got the idea.........

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.