Views: 2024|Replies: 4

Arab League and UN refuse to give up on Syria [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-2-9 19:12:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JFenix at 2012-2-9 19:12

The Arab League has said it wants to revive its monitoring mission in Syria as the bloodshed there reaches new heights.

The mission had earlier collapsed amid charges that Damascus had refused its cooperation.

The League further suggested a joint mission with the United Nations.

The UN’s chief, who is furious with the vetoing of the recent resolution to put pressure on Syria, said the organisation was ready to help where it can.

“We have heard too many broken promises, even within the past 24-hours. And we’re convinced that the deteriorating situation in Syria will not leave the rest of the region untouched. How many deaths will it take to halt this dangerous slide into other civil war?” said UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon.

Turkey which is already housing nearly 10,000 Syrian refugees, says it is prepared to build a second camp on its southern border.

Ankara which has been pushing for action against the Assad regime’s crackdown has urged the international community to send aid to Homs and a strong message of support to the rest of the Syrian people.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-9 19:29:58 |Display all floors
China has shown its ugly face.

which is " none of my business, none of your business"

no wonder so many stories of people running away from accidents and not helping.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-9 19:34:00 |Display all floors
Turkey should make a move against Assad.

What would happen?

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-9 19:37:42 |Display all floors
civilisation is built upon empathy. Willingness to help.
sense of justice, fairness and struggles to achieve justice.

a civilisation without empathy is a civilisation not worth keeping.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-9 19:42:49 |Display all floors
Ankara: Turkey will launch a "new initiative" with like-minded countries after the rejection of a UN resolution aimed at ending months-long bloodshed in neighbouring Syria, its prime minister said on Tuesday.

"We will start a new initiative with those countries who stand by the Syrian people, not the regime," Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in parliament, without elaborating.

Erdogan's announcement came after the United States proposed an international coalition to support Syria's opposition after Russia and China on Saturday blocked a UN attempt to end nearly 11 months of bloodshed.

The commander of the Free Syrian Army said that after the vetoes at the UN, "there is no other road" except military action to topple Syrian President Bashar Al Assad.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.