Author: voice_cd

Translation Contest Series No. 4   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-2-14 17:46:14 |Display all floors
jl2315 Post time: 2012-2-14 11:51
Take a look here: Wish Upon a Meteor
If you google for "wish upon a meteor", you will see many exa ...

You have your opinion and I have mine  ........

I believe that is why there is more than one judge  ........

I am English and the colloquialism 'wish upon a meteor' is not a true idiom or colloquialism as far as I am concerned and is Chinglish  ..........

The idea 'star' comes from books and film and legend ..........

And I very much doubt that you will find an English song or poem with anything other than star ........

The expression is 'shooting/falling star' ..............

Not shooting/falling meteor ........... and this couples with wish .........

Idiomatic language exists in all languages and they work because they are lexical 'chunks' with their own specific prosody and cannot be changed as in:

Hide and seek ...............  Seek and hide = wrong
The upper hand .............  The top hand  = wrong  
Come to grips with .........  Come to hold with = wrong
On one's guard ...............  On one sentry = wrong

The wrong answers here all have a relationship with each other but are incorrect .......

If you have found an American half-wit who chooses to tell a story on the internet about a grounded meteorite and a made up fairy-tale about a wish then that is fine, as I can also point you to stories on the internet of WWII bombers on the moon .........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-14 21:31:00 |Display all floors
theres some culture inference which needs to be addressed

in China, their "Wish" is actually a prayer, also how it began in the west

the comet is a celestial body, so it makes more sense to Chinese to pray to the celestial body, celestial bodies often represent literal Deity in China

in the West, the shooting star as a burning out meteor originally represented a falling star or a dying star, and so they wish based on some power they feel exists from the death of the star.. of course, today we know they are meteors, but people of the past didnt know what they were, and couldn't see the difference between stars trillions miles away and 'stars' burning up n our own atmosphere

Man: Look! A Shooting Star! (This could also be written as a Falling Star)

Woman: Hurry! Make a wish! (Culturally meaning 'Hurry, ask Heavenly Deity for a Blessing')

Man & Woman: We ask that the housing prices may be lower, and that we may get a house of our own soon! (i changed this to "May", because "we ask that we may" is more suitable for Praying to Deity)

Shooting Star: Sorry, this wish is nearly impossible to grant! (referencing celestial power, in the context that the celestial power even finds this very difficult, "Grant" i feel is most suitable, but english lacks a word which would adequately describe a deity-driven power to be unable to accomplish something, while still referencing the celestial body.. "Bestow" might also work..."Do" maybe also just suitable)

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2012-2-14 23:27:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by jl2315 at 2012-2-14 10:32
expatter Post time: 2012-2-14 04:46
You have your opinion and I have mine  ........   
I believe that is why there is more than one judge  ........

You have my full agreement there.
I am English and the colloquialism 'wish upon a meteor' is not a true idiom or colloquialism as far as I am concerned and is Chinglish  ..........
I agree that 'wish upon a meteor' is not a true idiom or colloquialism, but I don't think the Chinese would claim credit for inventing it.  And it is definitely proper English to tell your friends to make a wish when you see a meteor.  For example:
June 30, 2012 is Meteor Day

The word “meteor” refers to the visible streak of light produced by fallen debris from space—"meteoroids." We also call these beautiful sights “shooting stars” or “falling stars.”

Did you know that shooting stars are actually quite small? In fact, the average meteoroid is about the size of a pebble. Though many meteoroids enter the earth’s atmosphere every day, few of them actually hit the earth. When they do, they are called “meteorites.”

Tonight, make sure you look to the skies. If you see a meteor, don’t forget to make a wish! Happy Meteor Day!

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2012-2-15 00:09:28 |Display all floors
I missed something
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-2-15 00:27:59 |Display all floors
jl2315 Post time: 2012-2-14 23:27
You have my full agreement there.
I agree that 'wish upon a meteor' is not a true idiom or colloqui ...

As I said you have your opinion ........

If you were to use this idea in an indigenous community in England it would be 'awkward' ......

But here in China I am sure it is acceptable  .........

And there must be a thousand places in the world were they also have another version to suit .......

I will endeavour to remember that it is the version which is acceptable in China which will suit ........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-15 01:17:20 |Display all floors
Lono_Sainoa Post time: 2012-2-14 21:31
theres some culture inference which needs to be addressed

in China, their "Wish" is actually a pra ...

Cool ......... !

I missed this  ..........  

Great ideas  ........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-15 01:25:23 |Display all floors
Hi CD ..........

Do you think that you should give the winner each week so that it is clear .........

On the results I can see:

Jl2315 ............  Matt605

Seneca also indicated ........  Matt605

expatter  .........  Vivian1202

That would indicate .........  Matt605 as the winner  ..........

Thanks  ...........

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.