Author: voice_cd

Translation Contest Series No. 4   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-2-13 23:54:17 |Display all floors
jl2315 Post time: 2012-2-13 13:24
The translation by matt605 (post #12) is by far the best entry in this contest.  My second pick, at  ...

My comments are posted at #39 ........

Thanks  ........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-14 00:45:40 |Display all floors
You know ive noticed the guy who does these cartoons is a really boring person. All he can do is complain about the house and money issue over and over again. I feel bad for anyone he may be related too.
Serve the Emperor!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-14 01:11:49 |Display all floors
1. Man: Look! It's a shooting star'
    Woman: Quickly, make a wish!

2. Both: If only the house prices increases, so we can have an own apartment as soon as possible'

3. So sorry! But it's impossible, even for me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-14 02:53:54 |Display all floors
SPACEMARINE Post time: 2012-2-14 00:45
You know ive noticed the guy who does these cartoons is a really boring person. All he can do is com ...

indeed.
assburger.jpg
1325861921001.png
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-2-14 03:23:47 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2012-2-13 22:44
I give you a clue it starts with 1584 .... .... ....

OBTW .........

You shouldn't be entering the competition because you are a 'native speaker' and that gives you an advantage  .......

Would you be offended if I asked you to drop out ........  

BUT ........

Will you join me and maybe a couple of others in parodying the cartoons  .......

Funniest caption wins right ........

Do you have the cojones  ..........  ?  

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2012-2-14 03:36:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by jl2315 at 2012-2-13 23:46
expatter Post time: 2012-2-13 10:52

I cannot go with the expression ‘meteor’.
A falling or shooting star is very rarely seen and considered as ‘lucky’.

"Meteor", "falling star" and "shooting star" are actually different names for the same astronomical phenomenon -- a brief streak of light across the night sky.  "Meteor" is the correct technical term, while "falling star" and "shooting star" are more often used colloquaially.   In contrast, 流星 is its only name in Chinese.
A meteor is not a star, and is usually just rock and ice. This only normally only becomes visible with the naked eye when it hits our atmosphere prior to hitting the earth,

That would be a "meteorite", a physical object that, when it enters the earth's atmosphere, gets heated up and burns to appear as a "meteor". 【Correction: should be "meteoroid".  "Meteorite" is the remnant that falls to the ground.】
and can cause terrible damage such as the one which wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

That would more likely be a comet or some other stray object that was much larger than a meteorite.
A star is like our Sun and is luminous, or has its own light and can been seen from earth as a passing body. A falling star disappears below the horizon, and a shooting star transits across the sky.

Despite the "star" in their names, "falling stars" and "shooting stars" have nothing to do with real stars.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2012-2-14 03:53:33 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-2-14 03:23
OBTW .........

You shouldn't be entering the competition because you are a 'native speaker' and t ...

Bu yong ke qi la wo de hao peng you

我不会说写中文吧

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.