Views: 5571|Replies: 14

Chicken Nuggets: How bad are they? [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-1-28 03:25:23 |Display all floors
When the kids are wailing, the boss wasn’t happy with your presentation, and the kitchen is
anything but pristine, what mom hasn’t thrown up her hands and given in to demands for chicken
nuggets? Like, three times a week?
Maybe Mom should tell the kids: Be careful what you wish for.
Read about celebrities who dealt with eating disorders.
This week 17-year-old British factory worker Stacey Irvine was rushed to the hospital when she
collapsed, struggling to breathe. During the exam, doctors were stunned to learn that Ms. Irvine
had never in her life eaten fruit or
vegetables; instead she had eaten almost nothing but fast-food chicken nuggets since she was two
years old.
Her mother, Evonne Irvine, told reporters she had gone to great lengths to try to feed her daughter
more nutritious food, at one point even trying to starve the girl, but it hadn’t worked. Stacey
responded that, once she started eating nuggets, she “loved them so much they were all I would eat.”
Learn to grow your own fruits and vegetables.
What’s so bad about nuggets?
They would be bad enough if they were merely chunks of chicken that had been breaded and deep-fried
in oil. One documentary describes McDonald's nuggets as chickens “stripped down to the bone, and
then 'ground up’ into a chicken mash, then combined with a variety of stabilizers and preservatives,
pressed into familiar shapes, breaded and deep fried, freeze dried, and then shipped to a McDonald’s
near you.”
Aside from chicken and oil, those “stabilizers and preservatives” are said to include
dimethylpolysiloxane, a form of silicone also used in cosmetics. Another additive is tertiary
butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a form of butane. According to one report, chicken is only about 50 percent
of a McNugget; the remainder is a mixture of corn-derived ingredients, sugars and synthetic substances.
If a four-piece serving of Chicken McNuggets carried a nutrition label, at first glance it wouldn’t
seem too scary: 190 calories, 12 grams of carbs and 12 grams of fat. But consider that more than half
of those calories (56 percent) are from fat—and protein accounts for a mere four percent. Add a
whopping 360 mg sodium, and its image as “the more nutritious fast-food snack” fades.
Read about 15 surprisingly healthy fast food picks.
What’s the worst that can happen?
Aside from collapsing and gasping for air, as Stacey Irvine did? Doctors also discovered that the
veins in Ms. Irvine’s tongue were swollen and she was diagnosed with anemia. Further, such a high
salt intake can increase a person’s blood pressure (which ultimately can put them at risk for a
stroke or heart attack).
McNuggets are low in nutrients everyone needs, such as calcium, fiber, vitamins, antioxidants and
healthy fats, so a steady diet of nuggets means missing out on the health benefits of those ingredients
--------------------------------------
Chicken Nuggets: How bad are they?
Really bad. I love fast food but these things don't even taste good. They're pretty gross.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2012-1-28 04:44:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2012-1-28 04:44

If I am ever subjected to going in Mcdonalds with my Grandchildren. It would be the only thing I would eat. Probably better for you than most things they ask for

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-28 04:46:11 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2012-1-27 12:44
If I am ever subjected to going in Mcdonalds with my Grandchildren. It would be the only thing I wou ...

If you're at McDonalds and want chicken get their Chicken Selects.
They're way better than the nugget. It is actual strips of breast meat, not reconstituted chicken parts.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2012-1-28 04:50:13 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-1-28 04:46
If you're at McDonalds and want chicken get their Chicken Selects.
They're way better than the nug ...

ok, if i have to go again i will ask. I have never heard of that here

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-28 05:07:42 |Display all floors
chicken nuggets were invented to make more profits for macawfalls. half the meat and half crap i mean addatives.  kfc is at least mostly chicken (my son hated nuggets even at 6 years old) but his favrert was my specal chicken 炒面 or my wifes chinese cooking. but would engoy a kfc he is now 6 foot hehe

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-28 05:23:34 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2012-1-27 12:50
ok, if i have to go again i will ask. I have never heard of that here

They might not have them outside the US. I don't know.
A few years back McD had a really good chicken thingie. They were similar to Chicken Selects
only better. I don't know why they discontinued those. Maybe they were too expensive to
make. One of my favorite cookies grocery store cookies was discontinued decades ago and
I'll never understand that either. Maybe if there is an after life I can find the answers.
What happened to those peanut butter sandwiched between two oatmeal cookies cookies?
Why did McDonalds discontinue their best chicken thingies?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-28 07:57:19 |Display all floors
Chicken McNuggets are popular here because they're fake (like most things).
Wendys Spicy Chicken Sandwich is the best.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.