Author: SpaceAlien

Delete [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-17 16:52:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by lebeast at 2012-1-17 18:58

of course we can be friends - no need to be harsh on yourself. I don't see your post as immoral at all. You are not the morally insane evil racist known as timbatu.

I'm not sure if Gottfredson is fraudulent, but I wonder if she lost her objectivity because it was her "baby". Scientists must always strive to be objective but are limited by their subjectivity too.

and just because the studies fail to show a difference between race, does not prove there is none either

little is known about racial genetics, though some is known about, for example, differences in hepatic enzymes - eg those breaking down alcohol in Asians and some drugs in the CYP450 system.

additionally, there is likely genetic variation in intelligence. And intelligence does lead to adaptability. But the genes themselves probably reflect a variety of neurodevelopmental processes and expression in an ideal learning environment

The biggest problem with intelligence tests is that they measure performance in a test, not what a person does in a real life situation.
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 16:57:42 |Display all floors
it is a fact that asians earn the most in america, by race

this could be due to work ethic, cultural focus on academic success (parental expectation of excellence)

it may also be due to small numbers of children in the migrant family

there is a good study showing higher intelligence in families with just one child

but of course, the intelligence is only measured by a test

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 17:03:47 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-1-17 16:57
it is a fact that asians earn the most in america, by race

this could be due to work ethic, cultura ...

They've been allowed in here, 100's of thousands a year.

A report recently told us what we already knew but the politicians wouldn't admit too.  They forced down labour costs and kept our nationals out of jobs.

Thats the status qoa.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 17:31:05 |Display all floors
and it all starts going wrong when unemployment rises

in our country, immigration is a business. In fact, foreign student education is our third largest "export", behind iron and coal

making foreign students pay vast sums for education is a way they can get permanent residency, which is what they really want, and balancing budget deficits

in a way, it is clever, for it forces a form of acculturation on a potential immigrant and ensures they will work

I think it is tougher to come here, versus England, from what I recall.

Also, I am a bit surprised England adopted New World policies on immigration...

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 20:53:46 |Display all floors
This post was edited by questioner at 2012-1-17 20:56

Intelligence does have a genetic basis, SpaceAlien. However the disagreement is over how much. Most theorists put it at about 50%, but there is enormous variation. Studies on twins who were separated at birth shows there is a reasonable correlation, but its not perfect.

There's no question that there are multiple factors which affect the expression of intelligence. A nice summary occurs in a book called the making of intelligence, by Ken Richardson. He identifies 5 "perterbations" - things like genetic, cultural, inter-generational (Flynn effect), parental influences etc (but I can't remember all the factors in his case).

Most Chinese people are proud of modern china, and see Chinese people doing smart things like building skyscrapers, fast-speed trains and space ships. But this same gene pool produced behaviour of such extreme - and I'll be as kind as I can here - stupidity during the 1950s-1970s that they almost destroyed their own civilisation. Tens of millions of people died, the economy and social structure was anihiliated, education was decimated, the health system was desecrated, cultural artifacts wiped out.... And people engaged in this mass stupidity with enthusiasm. The point is that human intelligence can only flourish in environments which permit its expression. Even in modern China (and all countries) there are various forms of intelligence which lie dormant and unused because they are not valued or widely used.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-1-18 08:24:53 |Display all floors
questioner Post time: 2012-1-17 04:53
Intelligence does have a genetic basis, SpaceAlien. However the disagreement is over how much. Most  ...

"stupidity during the 1950s-1970s"
It just shows you what it takes to rid a country as big as China of religious influences that
infected the country during previous centuries.
There was method behind this madness that you do not see.
Genius is not always obvious.
Today China is relatively free of big business religions and is free to leave the rest of the world
in the dust.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-1-18 08:29:20 |Display all floors
Can you translate that into English?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.