Author: SpaceAlien

Delete [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-17 06:35:59 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2012-1-17 08:16
Its very interesting and i'd be interested in their opinion on whether or not its possible to actual ...

Yes you can improve it, the brain is like a muscle, keep using it.
IQ tests are not definitive so much of intelligence as of the ability to do IQ tests in the first place. They are at best a guide. I have often wondered about the IQ of those that make the tests up, unless they are genius's how can they know how to test for it? it just may be opinion based, egocentric in nature. They have some good ideas theories etc, but they don't know it all, so their expertise is arguably limited.
And before you ask, my IQ is reasonably high, but I like puzzles, strategy, and language.
If you don't have enough knowledge or experience in these things you can test quite poorly.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 06:36:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SpaceAlien at 2012-1-17 06:48
Ronny Post time: 2012-1-17 06:23
Oh, you are a funny little man, you make assumptions about things you know nothing about in an eff ...

Your reaction to the article was similar to virtually all anglos: such topics offend them: truth offends them, reason offends them, logic offends them, objectivity offends them, science, technology, and math offends them, and advancement offends them.  Yes, a very tiny percent of them do have good personalities, but most do not.   I welcome any anglo who does have a good personality though and want to help China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 06:41:03 |Display all floors
SpaceAlien Post time: 2012-1-17 08:36
Your reaction to the article was similar to virtually all anglos: such topics offend them: truth o ...

Well, if helping China is your goal, then I support you 100%. but if your argument lowers to insulting peoples wives etc, then you become lower than those you insult

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 06:54:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SpaceAlien at 2012-1-17 06:59
Ronny Post time: 2012-1-17 06:41
Well, if helping China is your goal, then I support you 100%. but if your argument lowers to insul ...

There is a theory in evolutionary biology called the bottle-neck effect: under the pressure of an extreme and taxing environment, only the few strongest survive, while the rest get trapped in the bottle and suffocate to death.  Well, the euros do have a few strong members, and they are better off working with China and sharing in China's future success, since the Euros themselves have failed and have no future.  By "Euro," I mean all the people of European descent.  

I agree with you though that using insults is irrational, and I will try my best to be more objective in my debates.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 07:14:59 |Display all floors
SpaceAlien Post time: 2012-1-17 08:54
There is a theory in evolutionary biology called the bottle-neck effect: under the pressure of an e ...

I know how you feel sometimes, and I too have said regretful things, It does not help our cause though, people will not want to bother with our opinion if we choose to throw negative things at them when they disagree with us.

I agree that the west needs to grow up in regard to it's thoughts on China etc, but getting over anti-Communist propaganda that has been floating around for over a hundred years is not easy. but people are starting to wake up, others are sick of US defamations about China and others, especially when used to gain favour in elections etc, the world is changing slowly, people are swapping ideas more, listening to alternatives.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 10:29:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by questioner at 2012-1-17 10:57

This is not "mainstream science". It is acollection of theorists with a mechanistic, quantitative bias in theirunderstanding of human intelligence. If you bother to read any genuine analysison human intelligence you will find that there is no mainstream consensus onwhat intelligence is, or how it functions. There is no single accepteddefinition. There are no universally defined domains, nor an agreement whetherintelligence incorporates cognitive functions beyond the verbal-linguisticparameters which the scientists listed above ASSUME define human intelligence.There is a widely held acknowledgement that it is very difficult to create anintelligence test question which does not contain cultural elements andassumptions. Take the "similarities and differences" sub-test".Which thing is different: a banana, a rhinoceros, a kangaroo, a tiger? Theanswer of course, as any Chinese person knows, is the kangaroo, because itcannot be used to stimulate sexual arousal.

Intelligence cannot be reduced to genetics. It is not a singular physicalattribute: it is possibly a complex emergent property, and I doubt it isreducible to component sub-systems (i.e. neurons and genes).

Furthermore, recent research shows that gene expression is stronglyenvironmentally mediated.

The increased understanding of neural plasticity is just about the final nailin the coffin of rigid, quantitative models of intelligence, like the thinkerslisted in the OP. The Flynn Effect shows that IQ scores have risen dramaticallyin all modern countries (but only in the sub-tests that the country place valueon - e.g. abstraction and visual-spatial acuity). 98% of intelligence testtakers would beat the average test taker from 100 years ago. That's how muchscores have risen. How can intelligence be a property of the brain alone - letalone be a singular, domain general 'score - when it is so malleable? The FlynnEffect is clear evidence that culture has an enormous effect on intelligence.

Race is hardly a definitive parameter. When Jews came to America theyscored lower in IQ tests than average, but later came to score higher onaverage. Their obsession with education and social advancement meant that theyspent an inordinate amount of time studying and using the kinds of skills thatIQ tests measure: verbal-linguistic and mathematical-logical thinking. It isreasonable to assume that this is what lay behind the sudden rapid increase inIQ test scores for Jews.

Any culture where people are exposed regularly to pen and paper tests, andwhere modern education is valued, will score higher in IQ tests, and forobvious reasons. Before 1949 Chinaconsisted of 92% peasants. I doubt whether they would have scored any higherthan the Russian peasants that were tested by Luria, the famed Russianpsychologist, in the 1st half of the 20th century. Those Russian peasants werefound to be incapable of any kind of abstraction process.

In short, the theorists listed in the OP are attempting to pass off outmodedphilosophy as hard science. Overly rigid IQ theories like this are built onsand, not hard science.

Unfortunately both naive media writers and individuals with a social or racialagenda often misrepresent the arguments to suit their motives.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-17 10:35:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by questioner at 2012-1-17 10:41
SpaceAlien Post time: 2012-1-17 06:54
There is a theory in evolutionary biology called the bottle-neck effect: under the pressure of an e ...

"Well, the euros do have a few strong members, and they are better off working with China and sharing in China's future success, since the Euros themselves have failed and have no future. "

What an absolute load of garbage! Half a century ago China was in ruins. Its education system, health system, economy and culture had been decimated by its misguided leaders. 50 million people dropped dead from starvation it was so poorly managed. If China can recover from this catastrophe in half a century, I think Europe can recover from a mere economic recession.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.