Views: 2855|Replies: 5

US military to probe 'marine abuse video' [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-1-12 14:19:43 |Display all floors
Marine Corps pledge full inquiry into footage appearing to show US soldiers in Afghanistan urinating on dead bodies.

The US Marine Corps has said it will investigate a video posted on the internet which appears to show US soldiers in Afghanistan urinating on corpses.
In a statement issued on Wednesday after the footage came to light, the corps said the matter would be fully investigated.
"While we have not yet verified the origin or authenticity of this video, the actions portrayed are not consistent with our core values and are not indicative of the character of the marines in our corps," the statement said.
The video, which was first posted on the Live Leak website, shows four men in military uniforms urinating on three bloodied bodies on the ground, apparently aware that they were being filmed.
One of them jokes: "Have a nice day, buddy."  The other makes a lewd joke about a shower.
"Regardless of the circumstances or who is in the video, this is... egregious, disgusting behavior, unacceptable for anyone in uniform," said John Kirby, a Pentagon spokesman. "It turned my stomach," he said.
Lieutenant Colonel Jay Stout, a former US Marine Corps pilot, spoke to Al Jazeera from Los Angeles, saying he found the incident "disturbing".
"I am disturbed. Look, marines kill to win, and sometimes they kill a lot and that's good, that's fine, that's war. But in victory we are trained to be compassionate, we are trained to be respectful and this incident was neither of those.
"It was disturbing, it was depraved. It took us down to the same level as the Taliban and as a marine I don't like being at the same level as the Taliban," Stout said on Thursday.
In a statement, the Taliban said the incident was "against all human rights" but "not the only example of the horrific actions that the Americans have done in Afghanistan".
"American soldiers are trained to spread horror and this is one of the examples," the Taliban said.
However, the group's statement added that the incident would not affect planned negotiations with the US.
Some 20,000 marines are deployed in Afghanistan, mostly in Kandahar and Helmand provinces in the south of the war-ravaged country.
The video could aggravate anti-US sentiment in Afghanistan after a decade of a war that has seen other cases of abuse.
The US military has been prosecuting soldiers from its army's 5th Stryker Brigade on charges of murdering unarmed Afghan civilians while deployed in 2010 in Kandahar province.
In that case, photographs published last March by two magazines - Der Spiegel and Rolling Stone - showed soldiers posing with the bloodied corpse of an Afghan boy they had just killed.
A Muslim civil rights group in the US condemned the alleged desecration of corpses in a letter to Leon Panetta, the US defence secretary.
"Any guilty parties must be punished to the full extent allowed by the Uniform Code of Military Justice and by relevant American laws," the Council on American-Islamic Relations said in the letter, a copy of which was sent to media organisations.

theglobeandmail.com

rawstory.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-12 17:56:39 |Display all floors
There have been many cases around the world of this kind of thing, and its not just recent behaviour, Maybe there is something wrong with the military selection process, this kind of behaviour should have been weeded out long before now.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-1-13 13:02:59 |Display all floors
Karzai condemns US Marines 'urination' video

Afghan president calls video of US soldiers apparently urinating on dead bodies an "inhuman" act, as probe is launched

Afghan president Hamid Karzai has strongly condemned a video posted on the internet which appears to show US soldiers in Afghanistan urinating on corpses.

It was unclear whether the dead bodies were those of civilians or Taliban fighters.

"The government of Afghanistan is deeply disturbed by a video that shows American soldiers desecrating dead bodies of three Afghans," said a statement from Karzai's office on Thursday.

"This act by American soldiers is simply inhuman and condemnable in the strongest possible terms."

The footage, first posted on the Live Leak website, shows four men in military uniforms urinating on three bloodied bodies on the ground, apparently aware that they were being filmed.

In a phone call to Karzai, Leon Panetta, the US defence secretary, expressed his regret over the incident and promised an investigattion.

"I have seen the footage, and I find the behaviour depicted in it utterly deplorable. I condemn it in the strongest possible terms," Panetta said in a statement.--------------------------

Taliban reaction

Al Jazeera’s Rosiland Jordan, reporting from Washington, said the video will make the work of US forces in the country much more difficult.

"The timing could not be more difficult. The US is trying to work out efforts to engage in direct peace talks with the Taliban, it is trying to support the Afghan government’s efforts to promote reconciliation," she said.

In a statement, the Taliban said the incident was "against all international human rights" but "not the only example of the horrific actions that the Americans have done in Afghanistan".---------------------

The US military has been prosecuting soldiers from its army's Fifth Stryker Brigade on charges of murdering unarmed Afghan civilians while deployed in 2010 in Kandahar province.

In that case, photographs published last March by two magazines - Der Spiegel and Rolling Stone - showed soldiers posing with the bloodied corpse of an Afghan boy they had just killed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-15 17:10:48 |Display all floors
Ronny Post time: 2012-1-12 03:56
There have been many cases around the world of this kind of thing, and its not just recent behaviour ...

Nothing like winning hearts and minds. ^^
Put out your right arm, hold back your left arm... <(=^.^=);

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-15 17:20:42 |Display all floors
CVHuan Post time: 2012-1-15 19:10
Nothing like winning hearts and minds. ^^

Not sure of your meaning here
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-15 17:29:42 |Display all floors
the issue is not weather in happen everywhere. the issue is happen in modern time. recorded and boosted by the american marines. if this is done by a chinese marine then the person will not even be able the face their own family and likely going to rot in chinese prison for life or 10 + year. i don't remember anything like this happening in other modern army. i don't believe any other military will tolerate this kind of behavior. if they did do it they at least won't be dumb enough to post it online.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.