Views: 10818|Replies: 46

Mass US sterilization of minorities until 1985 - American History Series [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-11 04:06:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by timbatu at 2012-1-11 04:30

The US Eugenics policy began in 1930 and it lasted well into the 80s. Initially, it aimed at those in institutions for mental illness, but over the decades minority prisoners, and ultimately the rural minority poor would be subject to the abortion and permanent sterilization.

The racist US policy is said to be a misguided attempt to weed out criminals and retards. Almost all African Americans, the victims are subject to forced abortion and forced sterilization by the US government. In conservative estimation, at least 90,000 American minorities were sterilized between 1925 and 1985. Even minority children were not exempted. In North Carolina, which is a state more open about the issue, 85 percent of sterilizations were performed on minority girls as young as 9-years-old.

Surviving by limited records of these sterilizations in state archives, America's Eugenics policy has for the most part been a buried chapter in the nation's history. Today, only 7 of the 33 states who ran such programs have publicly acknowledged or apologized to victims of the racist US Eugenic policy.

North Carolina acknowledges that it sterilized about 7,600 people in from 1929 to 1974.

Elaine Riddick Jessie (born Elaine Riddick in 1954) is an African-American woman who, as a 14-year-old girl in 1968, was forcibly sterilized by the Eugenics Board of North Carolina. Riddick recalls that "they didn't have permission from me because I was too young and my grandmother didn't understand what was going on. They (the Christian White doctors) said I was feeble-minded, they said I would never be able to do anything for myself."

Picture below shows Elaine Riddick who was permanently sterilized at the age of 14.

The fat guy loved by the Sinophobic West.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 04:12:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by timbatu at 2012-1-11 04:32

Lebeast, is this US policy not racist?

Why does it not receive the same news coverage as the Chinese One Child Policy? Why is Human Rights Watch so quiet on this? In sharp contrast, the Chinese One Child Policy does NOT endorse abortion; and it is extremely popular with Chinese people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 04:40:50 |Display all floors
Relative threads from Timbatu:

A Mirror: US Cultural History in Images http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-726125-1-1.html

Historical Documents of US Sinophobia http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-726772-1-1.html

Black American Deported As Illegal Alien http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-726603-1-1.html

Fire at Florida abortion clinic http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-725603-1-1.html

US Visa Bulletin: Modern Racism, Fear and Closeness http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-662094-1-1.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 05:48:02 |Display all floors
timbatu Post time: 2012-1-11 06:12
Lebeast, is this US policy not racist?

Why does it not receive the same news coverage as the Chines ...

This policy, not confined to the USA, was more than just based on race, though Race was one of the major themes of this ideology. The science of the theory was flawed, being encouraged by racist beliefs, the grossly incorrect idea that white people were superior  to other races, but, also was the idea that mental and physical abnormality could be eliminated. Although white supremacy was the main culprit, other races did instigate their own versions of eugenics, though not any where near to the extent of the USA, Germany and Sweden.
Some form of Eugenics was introduced to many countries, even in Australia. Asia, South America, Africa, Europe and others also.
It was a terrible crime against humanity.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 08:08:13 |Display all floors
Ronny Post time: 2012-1-11 05:48
This policy, not confined to the USA, was more than just based on race, though Race was one of the ...

If this is a terrible crime against humanity, I cannot imagine a name for the US Black Slavery and US Elimination of Native Americans.

But I have an easy question, perhaps: why the Western human rights organizations, the news and the Christian churches did not denounce it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 08:45:02 |Display all floors
Things change over time, many organizations were quite new, non existent, lacking competence, lack knowledge , Etc . Now they just conveniently overlook many things. Some just see problems in other countries as being greater etc, much of it is of course political, some is ignorance some arrogance.
The past needs to be learned from, but many cannot face their past, and others will not allow someone to move on from past mistakes. The world is a complicated place,  people and events are complicated too.
Many did not denounce it because they thought the new science was right, most did not support it out of pure evil, but actually believed in it. Sadly those that spoke against it were ignored even vilified for their stance and alternative beliefs. ( vilifying happens here too) It was not until the horrors in Nazi Germany were publicised that real opposition took place, and even then it took decades to get rid of it.
Eugenics had many forms, not all was about sterilization or extermination, some was more passive in comparison.
The white race is not the first to believe in it's own superiority, most races who were more advanced than others felt they were superior.
The troubles we have today are not really new, but with increasing technology so has the horrors increased( along with good things too). Life is a melting pot,  or cooking pot, what you end up with depends on what is put in them, and how they are stirred and spiced.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 08:52:33 |Display all floors
Ronny Post time: 2012-1-11 08:45
Things change over time, many organizations were quite new, non existent, lacking competence, lack k ...

Everyone should move on from past mistakes. But if one cannot face past mistakes, there is a problem. In the US, minorities are not allowed to speak about such recent past - 1980s - because whites feel offended. We minorities are subject to severe persecution if we speak up against racism - especially at workplace. Sometimes, the racist Police and Homeland Security join the persecution of minorities. This means that white Christians in the US never move on from the past mistakes. They did not change. There is a US Saying: two steps forward, three steps backward.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.