Views: 4475|Replies: 0

Taconite Mining cause for concern [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-7 15:59:34 |Display all floors
I am the editor of savethewatersedge.com. This website is an on line news source that is currently following the development of a taconite mine in Northern Wisconsin, USA. The company that is attempting to develop this mine is Gogebic Taconite (GTac). As editor of this web page I am following up on information that the Chinese Government is interested in possibly securing contracts that will enable the purchase of the taconite once it has been mined and processed. At this point I do not know if this information is accurate.
        This mine has become very contentious. The Wisconsin Government officials want to change the laws that will facilitate the mining companies investment. These laws have protected the water in this region and any changes in the law could be very trouble some. At risk is the water, which flows through the Bad River Ojibwe Reservation. This is the homeland of the Bad River Ojibwe people and the pollution from this mine could easily degrade the water quality. The rivers are spawning grounds, the wetlands, and forests are homes to the plants and animals that are important to the Ojibwe and others who hunt, fish, and gather nature’s bounty. The medicine plants are culturally important and offer help in the times of sickness. The waters support the Kakagon Sloughs that are home to the largest wild rice beds found in the Great Lakes. Wild rice a staple food for the Ojibwe people.
        These waters also flow into Lake Superior and are a source of drinking water for many others. The mining company assures us that the water will be protected and at the same time is working to change water protection laws. We are gravely concerned and want to protect the water.
        The water is weighted against the wealth that will be generated by the sale of taconite pellets, and at this point it appears as if China will be a major market. If this is accurate, savethewatersedge.com would like to report this story and explain why this mine may be devastating to a pristine wilderness area know as the Penokee Hills and the Bad River Watershed.

Thank you,

Frank K. Koehn
619 17th Ave. West
Ashland, WI 54806
Phone: 218.342.8822
Email: savethewatersedge@gmail.com
Web Page: savethewatersedge.com

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.