Author: jinseng

My daughter brought me five varieties of cheeses from Melbourne   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-5 15:14:05 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much ri

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-5 15:18:59 |Display all floors
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much ri

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-5 17:40:41 |Display all floors
Interesting that you have developed a love for such cheeses.

My wife (from Guangdong) has likewise become quite addicted to similar styles of cheeses, but we live in the Sierra (mountains) north of Madrid (Spain).
We have a number of very nice locally made cheeses, mainly goatsmilk and sheep-milk cheeses. We can get Stilton, both the blue-vein & a lovely one made with mango & ginger (our 15 month-old daughter loves it).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-5 21:44:42 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-5 21:58:12 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-5 22:01:04 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 03:41:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by RealMadrid1 at 2012-1-6 03:42
jinseng Post time: 2012-1-5 21:44
You made my mouth water!

I particuclarly like the Stilton Blue. The Blue mould looks uninviting to ...

My wife had first tasted Roquefort which I bought when we lived in Hangzhou. I was VERY surprised that she liked it, as she is from a very small farming village in eastern GuangDong, and never had the chance to taste cheeses before.

We usually get the Carr's Water Crackers to have with our cheese. A salted bisuit is often too much, and distracts from the nuances of the cheese flavour.

I have not used Stilton in cooking, but have had a gorgeous pasta carbonara in the village of Gorgonzola (east of Milano), yes, using Gorgonzola cheese in it:-)

Sour-dough toasts would also be a wonderful way of eating Stilton too.

A great drink to have with it is a sweet white wine, usually a good Beerenauslese (very sweet, but also high acid for a clean finish) or a Sauternes, such as De Bortoli from Australia (Griffith region) or if you are EXTREMELY rich, then a Chateau d' Yqem from Bordeaux. A Barsac is another alternative.

We have only recently moved to our current home in the mountain village, and have a lot of exploring of the local foods & flavours - one of the joys of living in new places.

My wife also loves the local paella, particularly the seafood one - she had what she considers the "perfect" paella in a small sea-front reastaurant on the east coast of Mallorca when we were visiting for holidays this summer - sitting in the sun, looking out over the ocean, eating good food and drinking an excellent white wine..... that is what life SHOULD be

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.