Author: 468259058

A Chinese lady nearly frozen to death in the "Happy New Year Day".   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-3 19:05:46 |Display all floors
Taking a stranger into your home for the night is extraordinary kindness.

You can't call it a fail.

Even if all he wanted was the information and was not out to be a charity case, it doesn't matter.  

He had to feel grateful for the reminder that humanity is not dead.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-1-3 19:06:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 468259058 at 2012-1-3 19:12
LCSULLA Post time: 2012-1-3 19:01
Jfenix,
If you had gotten to know this Country while you lived here, you'd have noticed the cultur ...

Anyway, your story touched me.

oh...I need to thank a guy who is in Beijing.  
She was also kind and sent sth to me before my payment reached just in the Christmas holidays of 2011.
Thanks a lot for her trust.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 19:55:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by LCSULLA at 2012-1-3 20:07
JFenix Post time: 2012-1-3 19:05
Taking a stranger into your home for the night is extraordinary kindness.

You can't call it a fail. ...

Uhm, I dunno.

that's just how I was brought up to do in such a Situation, having identified his need.
(Also I did not say he asked for Charity, what I did say is that he asked for that information to find a solution for where he could spend the time, while local understanding would have been asking for the opening hours => asking for opening hours)

Although the School and Boarding Teachers mostly raised me to think independent and scientifical,
right now I can't help but bring in the Bible, was still an Institution of the Church afterall.
Bringing that up, you may spin it from the view of the student, and similar to the story of the Guy who told the Rescue Workers in the Flood "I'm a devout Man, God will come to save me." and think I must have been the Rescuer send to someone freezing off his ass in the Cold. if seen that way.
Though that might be also the case, I'd also invite you to take a look the other way round and refer you to Mathew 25: 31-46
"Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me."    and "Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me."
:)

Also I think the Risk was acceptably low.
If he had had bad Intentions, how would he have had run off,
not knowing his way around, and neither the Language?
Also, at the same time he also accepted a potential risk, trusting me that I had no bad Intentions either.
Overall, take Game Theory into Consideration,
assuming the possibility of fooling one another,
I was in an advantagous Situation over him.
So
1: I had the lower Risk
2: His Risk was also acceptable:
small Town, low populated State, reliable Institutions,
even in worst case, enforcement mechanisms on each other could reasonably be relied on to deter.

and to 468
Yes, it's true and factual, why would I make up such a story?

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 20:09:07 |Display all floors
"Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me."    and "Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me."
:)

I do like that verse.

Almost like the golden rule.

I know he didn't ask for charity, but the only reason I can see that he might be offended by what you did was from that angle.

I'm a very proud person who finds it hard to take help when I need it.  
I'm quick to give help, just hard to receive it if you know what I mean.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-1-3 20:44:23 |Display all floors
LCSULLA Post time: 2012-1-3 19:55
Uhm, I dunno.

that's just how I was brought up to do in such a Situation, having identified his ne ...

Nowadays, we learned not to be hurt from a lot of cases.

So, that story would be nearly a fairy tale around us.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 21:40:46 |Display all floors
468259058 Post time: 2012-1-3 20:44

Nowadays, we learned not to be hurt ...

What is the case somewhere does not necesserily have to be the case somewhere else.
Neither do such Situations have to remain constant.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-3 23:25:11 |Display all floors
our intelligent central government knows the roots of such social issues, high-rank officials just do not want to take effective measures to deal with them.
Imagine how many so-called social elites and intelligent pools are there in the think tank of CCP?
how cann't they know the most basic reason that even the grass-roots know?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.