Author: mapleripple

Can China become a bilingual country?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-11-29 09:10:04 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-11-29 00:05
The fact that the Chinese can't speak English - although they invest the most time to learn it in  ...

Most Chinese can speak, de facto, two languages: Mandarin and their respective local language even if these are not officially taught in schools.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-29 20:49:42 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-29 21:09:55 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-11-29 20:08
For a Spaniard your reponse is extremely dumb.

Everyone speaks or understands several dialects. ...

Cantonese and Mandarin are completely different languages with even different ways of writing the characters. This is just one of the many examples that can be found in China. Take a look at the different writings on any Chinese bank note.
Who is the dumb one now?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-30 08:19:53 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-11-29 23:40
You area fool who knows absolutely nothing concrete about Cantonese. It isn't a language divorce ...

I asked you to take a look at certain bank notes printed in China and the different characters shown in order to sustain my original statement that many Chinese are already bi-lingual supported on what the Omniglot experts consider a language or dialect to be but of course you prefer to go on a diatribe about this and that invasion which by no means is the topic at hand here.
Some Chinese bank notes are printed showing 5 different languages on them: Han(Mandarin), Tibetan, Uyhgur, Mongolian and Zhuang.
I also referred to Cantonese as a clear example of a separate language from Mandarin although it's true that people who speak Cantonese can do so using the same simplified characters used in standard Chinese. Anyhow, in Hong Kong, the charcters used are those named as traditional Chinese, which differ greatly from standard Chinese ones.
As for the strict fact of how able are Chinese people to use a "foreign" language like English, Spanish, French in between others, I suppose it all depends on the level of education of each person. I have met Chinese who have better command of English than some native speakers. I have also met the other side of the range: those who can hardly answer a simple question after years of instruction.
My final word is this. Multilinguism is a plus always! Those of us who have been smart enough to learn several languages or who were brought up in a multilingual environment know how beneficial it is.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-6 19:19:13 |Display all floors
Ya . Chinese are trying to learn English but it proves so hard to speak it . Chinese are good at Copycat in terms of technology but the English language can't be Copycated so the problem .

From primary to university ,u  see Chinese trying hard to learn to speak English but it's just a mirage to them .

The reason is that ,Chinese  want to speak like Americans and that's impossible .If u like go stay in America for millions of years u can't speak like them .

Chinese should change their thinking first then they can learn the English well .

Its raining in Gz now just indoors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-6 20:23:58 |Display all floors
In China, Chinese people speak Chinese. If you want to speak English, move to an English-speaking country.

Why do you need a foreigner like me to tell you this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-6 20:28:01 |Display all floors
Azindoo Post time: 2015-1-6 19:19
Ya . Chinese are trying to learn English but it proves so hard to speak it . Chinese are good at Cop ...

If they stay in America long enough, I have to say I have seen Chinese people, born and raised in China, start sounding American. There will still be grammar mistakes, but you can tell by how they speak, that they have mingled with the Americans.

Also, they learn the sense of humor too. I've interacted with Chinese people raised in China but have lived for some time in America...they don't get offended so easily. And when I joke with them, rather than get upset, they joke back.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.