Author: stevenen

A lack of mutual respect on these forums?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-6 04:49:47 |Display all floors
Today is the first time that I visited this website.

I somehow doubt you are first time here.

You seem to know more about forum than many posters here.

Never mind , having few clones is hardly new phenomena.

As for manners and general outlook of forum , well it seem to be working this way for decades so why would newcomer all a sudden worry about place he visit first time?

That is same if I say I’m worried about S. African forum about giraffes.

Why would I worry about?

It doesn't add up.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 05:06:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by stevenen at 2012-1-6 05:08

So that there is no confusion on this matter. I have sent my details to a China Daily staff member including my personal telephone number to verify my identity and location. I am sure that China Daily intended that their forum guidelines to be followed, so I have complete trust in them.

So as to justify their actions, dishonest people are usually of the opinion that everyone is dishonest. I know this not to be true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 05:14:23 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SMITHI at 2012-1-6 05:16
expatter Post time: 2012-1-2 18:41
Hmmm ....... !

I think that is the nature of many forums and I am sure that recent action by the  ...

All forums are like this more or less indeed , there is nothing unusual here..............fighting , name calling , good , bad , mannered , not so mannered....................very ordinary if you ask me.

When all think alike, then no one is thinking , fight is good it mean people have something to say and they are ready to fight for what they believe to be truth.

Overall comparing other forums this is very civil one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 05:50:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by stevenen at 2012-1-6 09:50
voice_cd Post time: 2012-1-4 10:22
Dear Stevenen,
we would say yes to the situation you mentioned here. There are many F words and atta ...

This is an abrogation of responsibility. The job of a moderator is to moderate in line with the forum guidelines. If there are swear words or sexual innuendos then you simply ban them.

It is easy to identify those members who engage in vulgarity. I have only discovered the forum a few days ago and I already know who they are. It is made doubly easy by the fact that they even identify each other as "friends" within their profiles.

The root of the problem with this forum, is not that there are an excessive number of offensive posts. The root of the problem is that offensive posts are not deleted and their contributors banned.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 08:09:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SMITHI at 2012-1-6 08:16
stevenen Post time: 2012-1-6 05:50
This is an abrogation of responsibility. The job of a moderator is to moderate in line with the for ...

The root of the problem with this forum, is not that there are an excessive number of offensive posts. The root of the problem is that offensive posts are not deleted and their contributors banned.

Rooting is bit offensive word if i may notice.

I think they should ban you immediate.

China Daily should decide if it wants a respectable forum as implied by its guidelines. If the moderators are not comfortable supporting the guidelines, then they should either find another job, or they should simply remove the guidelines.

Hold your horses Hillsbilly , you just joined and you would like to fire all moderators.

Slow down dear , life is too short and we are at free speech section of forum. This section is dedicated to arty farty people with loose tongue and sense of humour.

You lack witty aspect of it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 09:43:45 |Display all floors
This post was edited by stevenen at 2012-1-6 09:47

Taking a step back and looking at the big picture; one of the stated goals of China Daily is to support mutual understanding. This is not just a debate about "rude words".

It is pretty clear to anyone that there are some rather inflammatory messages posted here. I think anyone would describe the current atmousphere of the forum as less than harmonious. Just to give one example from today;

(a) You have foreigners being disrepectful to women:

One woman for one night....
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/for ... 6142&fromuid=840281

(b) You have Chinese contributors posting reactionary articles, based on a perception that foreigners are disrespectful to Chinese women;

Chinese Women, Please Don’t Sleep With Foreigners (zt)
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/for ... 4906&fromuid=840281

This is just one example.

If you are going to throw a party, and it looks as if there is a bunch of people who are going to start a fight, you throw them out. Tell them they are not welcome.

Is this forum intended to support mutual understanding or not? If it is, then the moderators have to moderate. If not, then leave it as it is.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-6 12:34:36 |Display all floors
Don't worry

This is a tradition

I think it's already lot more respect here than years ago...

But thats why I like CD forum, there's no faking all those rose-coloured glasses friendly nice peaceful atmosphere and you don't have to pretend to be harmonious and nice everyday, that feels true and good isn't it?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.