English and racism. [Copy link] 中文

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-4-19 10:25:23 |Display all floors

Talking to yourself, frato Temico?

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-19 19:43:56 |Display all floors

"should learn to read"??

Ha ha ha, this bumpkin is now telling others to "learn to read" when he himself, can't even read and differentiate beteween, "hinglish" and "HINDLISH" !!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-20 19:46:23 |Display all floors

Still going strong, are you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-20 21:30:23 |Display all floors

standards of debate?

Machjo and bossel:  thank you for your contributions to the debate, and for your patience and mildness under quite indefensible attack. Machjo, I don't personally share your enthusiasm for Esperanto, but there is no doubt that it is a marvelous creation and an absorbing hobby, and humankind is richer for the efforts of those who have invented and nurtured it.

Temico: your intellectual position, as far as one can discern it from your semi-coherent spluttering, seems to be that British English syntax, vocabulary, grammar and accent are good, and all others are bad, though not equally so. N. American usage might be acceptable, but English speech patterns originated in Asia or Africa deserve scorn.

Clinging to usage standards in this way is like professing faith in the "literal truth" of the Bible. One immediately asks, "which translation?" Similarly, one must ask of the supposed standard of The Queen's English, "of which period, which class, which speaker?" Grammar and usage rules are useful, but part of their usefulness is their flexiblity. Languages are about evolution. Would we not be poorer indeed, linguistically and intellectually, without the coinages of Shakespeare or the grammatical inventiveness of Hopkins, to cite but two examples from among many. In other words, as an intellectual position, yours is not quite beyond the pale, but it's right up against the posts: a half step away from indefensible. One of the hallmarks that separates the great writer from the pedestrian one is the latter's slavish adherence to rules, where the former bequeaths to us a coinage or a novel twist of syntax. That is what the Asian and African speakers of English have done, enlivening the language, enriching its possibilities, and entertaining anyone who finds joy in the new.

What is beyond the pale, sir, is your intemperate, rude, repetitive and wilfully ignorant method of argument -  to characterize it as "debate" would be to give it a respect it has not earned. Your ad-hominem attacks, particularly on bossel, are repulsive. They do not earn you sympathy but rather mitigate against even considering your position. YOUR TACTIC OF SHOUTING ALL THE TIME emphasizes only the gaseousness of what is said. (Everybody else seems to be able to figure out how to do <b>bold</b> or <i>italic</i> or even <b><i><u>underlined bold italic,</u></i></b> why can't you?) Your habit of mischaracterizing someone else's position, and then railing against your own invention, is a tactic that recalls the most adolescent style of debate. The principal thing your arguments have demonstrated is the justice of the question with which machjo began this thread.

I'm sure that the acid of your response is even now gnawing away the nib of your pen, and one of the forum rules seems to be that temico has the last word. So, post away; you'll get no response from me.

PS There is good reason to suppose that your response, should you choose to excrete one, will expend no little flame on questions of my ethnic origin and cultural background. So, for the record, I am blonde, blue-eyed and fair complected; my ancestors going back four generations and more were all born in the United States; beginning four generations ago, some of them immigrated from Germany, France, Ireland, England and what is now Canada; and my cultural background is 100% white middle class Northeastern US. Just to satisfy your curiosity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-21 06:04:17 |Display all floors

Tricks won't work with me no matter who FARTS them namabos!!

Why don't you be honest and just ask yourself, would you or would you not be SURPRISED if you go to a bakery and when asking for CAKE, be given BREAD instead??
If "earning one's bread and butter" means  "earning one's living ", would saying "earning one's "cake & butter" instead, mean "earning one's livelihood" too, since "cake" is just another type of bread ??

Trying to cover up for another's STUPIDITY isn't what Chinese people expect from so-called "native English speakers", and especially not from those who claim to be FLUENT and trying to teach others! If you really believe that all Chinese will WILT and avoid CONFRONTATION when faced with nincompoops who don't know what they are yapping about, then you must really be out of your simpleton's head!

I would like you let to know that I don't give a HOOT whether you are 100% white, blue, yellow, green or whatever, or whether you originated in Europe, America, Africa or from some pigsty gutter!  I am not here to "kissa*s" to no despicable foreigners!!

BTW, why not shove that "blue-eyed and fair complected" whatever-it-is-supposed-to-be down the other end of your shit-tube and "excrete" to it your HINDLISH-yapping bumpkin? Heck! Wouldn't he take it for REVERED cow dung from his SAHIB and make COW DUNG BREAD to offer to the gods, NO? ( ha ha ha...)

Whether you care to reply or not would make no difference to me because I know that you would still read my reply either way. I know your type very well, you can't stand the fact that there are Chinese, 100% Chinese at that, who can see through your despicable tricks and SHUT YOU UP and in YOUR OWN LANGUAGE TOO!!

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-4-24 09:42:21 |Display all floors

Wow, Namabos!

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-4-24 09:42:53 |Display all floors

Enlighten me, frato Temico!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.