Views: 13600|Replies: 39

50% of Congress members are millionaires while most Americans don't know   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-12-28 03:56:10 |Display all floors
Most Americans 'not aware' of Congress' rising wealth

Tue Dec 27, 2011

Nearly 50% of Congress members are millionaires while most Americans don't know or somehow don't care, says David Macaray, a prominent Los Angeles-based American author.

“The (wealth) gap (between Congress and average Americans) that we now see, that has alarmed some people, has been a long time coming. The last year that the American worker received an actual raise in pay in real dollar was 1973.”

Speaking to Press TV's U.S. Desk on Tuesday, Mr. Macaray said “Half of [Congress members] are millionaires and what's even more alarming, more dangerous is the fact that the majority of Americans either don't seem to know this or don't seem to really care.”

“The most super-depressing things you find are middle class, lower middle class, even poor people who want to see the rich do even better. It's just amazing that you don't see people reacting in the way that one would think they should.”

Largely insulated from the country's economic downturn since 2008, members of Congress - many of them among the “1 percenters” decried by Occupy Wall Street protesters - have gotten much richer even as most of the country has become much poorer in the past six years, according to an analysis by The New York Times based on data from the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonprofit research group.

Single choice vote, There are a total of 6 people participating in the poll
0.00% (0)
16.67% (1)
66.67% (4)
16.67% (1)
Your current user group has no poll permission

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-28 05:36:49 |Display all floors
“The most super-depressing things you find are middle class, lower middle class, even poor people who want to see the rich do even better.

Did they actually say that ?   I cant see it.

Anyway most of our cabinet Ministers are millionaires and everybody knows it.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-28 07:19:26 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2011-12-28 05:36
“The most super-depressing things you find are middle class, lower middle class, even poor people w ...

I have to agree with your regarding little evil island in Europe population.

Yes people in Britain are smarter , every time i talk to Englishman i feel i have not wasted my time.

Average Brit is  very critical and knowledgeable about it's own government and theft that is going on , average gringo always defend it['s government and like chimp chest-beating patriotic drum................i avoid talking to chimps thou.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-28 16:22:50 |Display all floors
This is their American way.

But it’s no secret that  many members of  the U.S. House and Senate are  millionaires — 47 percent of them — their salaries  paid  in part by the American taxpayers.

The Center for Responsive Politics has crunched the numbers and released the results on its Open Secrets blog:

“About 47 percent of Congress, or 249 current members are millionaires. … In 2010, the estimated median net worth of a current U.S. senator stood at an average of $2.56 million,” according to the Center’s research.

“Despite the global  economic meltdown  in 2008 and the sluggish recovery that followed, that’s up about 7.6 percent  from an estimated median net worth of $2.38 million  in 2009 … and up 13 percent from a median net worth of $2.27 million in 2008. … Fully 36 Senate Democrats, and 30 Senate Republicans reported an average net worth in excess of $1 million  in 2010.  The same was true for 110 House Republicans and 73 House Democrats.”

“The vast majority of members of Congress are quite comfortable, financially, while many of their own constituents suffer from economic hardships,” said Sheila Krumholz at the Center For Responsive Politics.  “Few Americans enjoy the same financial cushions maintained by most members of Congress — or the same access to market-altering information that could yield personal, financial gains.”

Americans well know this and is the reason why their congress has an approval rating of 10-15% at the moment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-28 16:34:15 |Display all floors
Now on the other hand, one needs to give them credit for their dis-closer of personal wealth and not attempting to conceal such information like some corrupt nations, say Russia for example.

For 2010 information on their assets in Russia, income and financial commitments issued just over 60 of the 450 members of parliament. ONLY half of them also made ​​public their declaration and for the year 2009. Although the request for information about the welfare of the 2009 and 2010 "Case" sent to all deputies. Only 30 deputies explained his refusal to disclose income: that all the declarations are in the Verkhovna Rada, and only he can provide similar information. However, the Parliament considered another way: "The information (on income and property of people's deputies) should be disclosed directly to the people's deputy of Ukraine", – said the "case" the head of the personnel staff of the Verkhovna Rada, Volodymyr Martyniuk. In any case, differences of parliamentary officials and the deputies themselves play into the hands of the latter – about 400 people's deputies have not yet disclosed their income. Legislative rule, which obliges MPs to publish data from tax returns, will come into force in 2012. Until that moment, members of parliament can not ignore global standards. Although they are not used to it. For 15 years – from 1996 to mid 2009 – in Ukraine there was the Law "On Combating Corruption", which obliged the members to publish information about their wealth, income and financial commitments. Except for a few deputies in parliament, this requirement is not complied with, and punishment is not carried

Yes so many politicians are so corrupt it seems. But having wealth in it self is not corruption. Hiding it due to how one came by it is.
{:soso_e112:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-28 17:06:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SMITHI at 2011-12-28 17:07

“The most super-depressing things you find are middle class, lower middle class, even poor people who want to see the rich do even better. It's just amazing that you don't see people reacting in the way that one would think they should.”

Largely insulated from the country's economic downturn since 2008, members of Congress - many of them among the “1 percenters” decried by Occupy Wall Street protesters - have gotten much richer even as most of the country has become much poorer in the past six years, according to an analysis by The New York Times based on data from the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonprofit research group.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

I mean really that is so depressing , in England they burned down whole townships in riots yet in Amerikkkkkkkkkkka few OWS protests kind of girls gathering to have coffee chat , so faggotesque 'n stuff.

Amerikkkkka need to wake up and walk the talk.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-28 17:20:28 |Display all floors
SMITHI Post time: 2011-12-28 17:06
“The most super-depressing things you find are middle class, lower middle class, even poor people w ...

Not violent enough for you those OWS protesters?

My, my, my. Perhaps you could mail over a few thousand copies of Putin's hand manuals?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.