Views: 14473|Replies: 3

[Tips] [Tibet] FAQs for foreigners to travel to Tibet [Copy link] 中文

Rank: 8Rank: 8

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2011-12-15 15:46:22 |Display all floors


Tourists from both home and abroad flock to Tibet Autonomous Region, China as the National Day holiday (from October 1 to 7) impends. Foreign tourists are taking pictures in Jokhang Temple.

1.Are there any restrictions on foreign tourists to visit Tibet? What about overseas Chinese, Taiwanese, Hong Kong and Macao residents?

Foreign tourists must be organized to travel to Tibet. They must be organized by travel agencies and with confirmed routes. What's more, a Tibet Travel Permit (TTP for short) from the Tibet Tourism Bureau is indispensable. The TTP must be shown upon booking flights and boarding planes.
Overseas Chinese and Taiwanese also need to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit. Hong Kong and Macao residents need a Home Return Certificate instead of the TTP.
Foreign tourists, overseas Chinese, and Taiwanese can entrust the Tibet Tourism Bureau and travel agencies to apply for the permit with the copies of passport, Chinese Visa and work certificate. Normally, it will take about one week, or 2-3 days for emergency.

2. Who needs a border pass when traveling Tibet How to apply and can it be applied in Tibet?

Since many places in Tibet are in the border areas or haven't been entirely opened to tourists, domestic citizens (including Hong Kong and Macao citizens) must apply for border passes if they want to enter these areas. Otherwise, they will be turned down.
For Chinese citizens who have valid passports, which have been endorsed with overseas visa, they don't have to apply for border passes. The procedure of Tibet border pass is the same as that of Shenzhen. People can apply for it with their Identification Cards at the police station where they keep their household registration. We suggest you get a certification of travel at the Tibet Tourism Bureau before applying for a border pass in case some police stations may reject your application.

3. Which areas in Tibet need border passes?

Shigatse Prefecture Zhongba county, Saga county, Nylam county (Zham), Tingri county, Kangma county, Yadong county, Gampa county, Dinggye county, Gyirong county.
Lhoka Prefecture Cona county, Lhongzi county, Lhodak county, Nanggarze county.
Nyingtri Prefecture Mailing county, Nang county, Zayul county, Medog county.
Ngari Prefecture Purang county, Zhada county, Rutog county, Gar county.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Gold Medal

Post time 2011-12-15 20:02:56 |Display all floors
All very useful informations . Tkx for posting them.

As for certain permits - Pls. permit me to add a few more details:

For foreigners (incl. citizens of Taiwan and Chinese holding foreign passports) 4 (four) different kind of permits exist depending on which part of the TAR a tourist wants to visit

-  One is the Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB), which you have to obtain in order to enter Tibet as    described by you.
  -  One is the Alien Travel Permit, when you are planning to travel to the 'unopened' areas inside Tibet (as mentioned above).
  -  The other two are Tibet Public Security Permit (PSB) and the Military Permit, which you have to obtain if you are planning to travel to some military sensitive areas.

The PSB permit is issued by the Foreign Affairs Section of the Local Public Security Bureau (PSB). Usually it can be applied upon arrival in Lhasa. The tour group operator will ask for the passport and TTB permit and submit both to the Foreign Affairs Section of PSB. It normally takes several hours and the cost is 50 yuan/person (well, several years ago).

The military permit is issued by the Military office in Lhasa. It is absoluty needed for travel
to Ngari, Nyingchi (outside Nyingchi township) and Nagqu prefecture which are regarded as military sensitive areas.

The military permit is, afaik, free of charge but it's approval it not guranteed.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 1

Post time 2012-4-9 17:07:07 |Display all floors
  When i took the first step on China,i know that i came to the right place.Tibet,maybe we can call it a natural farm,is so beautiful that just once you have taken a <a href=" target="_blank">Tibet Tours</a> to Tibet,we will never be able to forget the view and landscapes of Tibet.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 9Rank: 9Rank: 9

Post time 2012-4-10 08:49:04 |Display all floors
Kevinfeng123 Post time: 2012-4-9 17:07
When i took the first step on China,i know that i came to the right place.Tibet,maybe we can call  ...

you can share your travel experience in Tibet and pics taken there too.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email:
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.