Author: goldengrove

Foreign couple tackles Chinese thief...   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-2 04:36:08 |Display all floors
La0wai Post time: 2014-6-1 17:46
I personally have done things in emergencies in China. The 'National Thinking' is FEAR!!! So many fe ...

This is where Chinese should emulate good samaritan laowais who often rush to save strangers without fear of their own safety.  It's sad that the Lei Feng Spirit campaign failed to sink in among the majority of Chinese in spite of years of indoctrination.  It's shameful that these same Chinese would rush without hesitation to grab merchandise fallen off a capsized truck.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-11 11:48:50 |Display all floors
Here is another tidbit from the same theme of indifference.

I am out on my bike going to meet at friend at work. It's early in the evening, dark, a little damp, and I am on a service road to a major highway. It is normal to have cars and trucks pass you doing 60 mph, or 100 kph. When all of a sudden like talking to a beautiful stranger in the mall, and your girl friend whose been lost for hours comes out of no where there is a pile of concrete, stone and other construction debris piled high on the road. I slam on my brakes and barely avert a tumble and accident. Lo and behld in the haze I see a tail light to a motorcycle. The pile has already cost an accident. Quickly I dismount after pulling the bike to the sidewalk and run to the scene. The driver is in a daze, his hand is capped over a bleeding wound about size of a silver dollar. So far luck has been with us, no other cars or trucks have come to run us over. The motorcycle is leaking gas, so there was no time to attend to the wounded. I ran to the bike and picked it up. The lights were still on as car came by slowly. "No Smoking!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. The car left us. Another car came, slowed down and pulled away.  I moved the bike under the bridge that was on the side of the road. The injured had a phone but no money on it to use it. I put him on my bike and drove him to the closest hospital. It was closed due to holiday. I called my gf and had her call the cops to help this poor guy. She then told me to get heck out of there right away! "It's too dangerous get out of there before the cops arrive. This guy might tell the cops you were responsible for his accident." Well, I did what she said and proceeded to go see my friend. I told him the story in detail, but his attitude was like "so that's why you're late?"
I can't win...in America if you come across someone in medical need and you don't stop to provide help, you are guilty of a crime.  This is not a universal American thing because if an American is involved in an accident in many countries of the world, the U.S. Embassy advises "don't stop, just go!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-11 19:57:18 |Display all floors
beijingyank Post time: 2014-11-11 11:48

I am out on my bike going to meet at fr ...

Good move, at leat you did what you should do.
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-15 22:50:37 |Display all floors
beijingyank Post time: 2014-11-11 11:48

I am out on my bike going to meet at fr ...

That is the morality of china nowadays,the morality of china have declined much compared 20 years ago

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-2 06:54:23 |Display all floors
Well let us face it.  Just because a foreign couple "supposedly" caught a "supposed" thief, does that in fact prove this person they tackled was in fact a thief????  Where in fact is the evidence?  Now we have foreign people acting as police.  It maybe in fact that the person tackled has been attacked and assaulted?
Let us get all the facts before  a person is tried convicted and sentenced by two  unknown foreigners with
no credentials at all  to be police officers??

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-6 12:06:51 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2015-9-30 07:25:24 |Display all floors
From my experience, if you want to prevent crime in China, take care of it yourself. Police will do little if anything to bother. I've been the victim of crime a couple of times. I contacted police and nothing was done. I was told by my translator that the police laughed about it and said they didn't want to get involved. They really don't have time to bother with such things.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.