Views: 5419|Replies: 4

Norwegian high school separates classroom by ethnicity [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-11-28 16:49:00 |Display all floors
A Norwegian high school in Oslo has been accused of apartheid after segregating classrooms based on ethnic background, Norway's The Dagasvisen reports.
The Bjerke Upper Secondary School began filling one of the three classrooms with students whose parents come from immigrant backgrounds, The Telegraph reports.
Though classrooms at Bjerke high school have now been shuffled, the news came as a surprise to one city official who demanded an end to the practice.
Torger Odegaard of Norway's Conservative Party, who heads up Oslo's education program, told News And Views From Norway he was shocked by The Dagasvisen report.
After a noticeable drain of white "ethnic Norwegians" attending the high school, the principal decided to introduce the move this fall.
"We made the decision because many Norwegian students were moving to other schools because they were in classes with such a high percentage of students from other nations. They seemed to be in a minority," Gro Flaten, the principal of the school told The Telegraph.
But Robert Wright, another Norwegian politician who formerly headed up the Oslo school system, criticized Odegaard for banning the move by saying it prevented "white flight", reports The Telegraph.
The controversial decision comes at a time when Norway is grappling with an influx of immigration since the 1990s, though the recent trend has slowed amid growing employment concerns.
Integration remains a key issue for the city given immigrants now make up 28 percent of Oslo's population.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-10 01:11:18 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-20 11:11:34 |Display all floors
magnetic1974 Post time: 2012-2-10 01:11
Segregation still exitst in the   country that preaching a bout human right and equallity and Noble ...

They copy apartheid from Israel.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-20 15:13:31 |Display all floors
If I'd move to Norway, I'd also prefer to be in a class with other immigrants, as I don't speak Norwegian and would have severe disadvantages in certain fields such as Norwegian literature.
Seperating foreigners from natives isn't that bad in certain majors - but in other classes such as foreign languages or math you can teach them together.

To be frank, I also wouldn't want my child to be in a class with many immigrants as those immigrants just can't advance as fast as a native could. It isn't racist to seperate people according to their abilities - but I believe the seperation should not be forced upon the children. The students should be able to choose their classes themselves and judge themselves how well they can follow courses in the native language.

When I studied in China, my university kept it that way. I could either go to a small class for foreigners to learn Chinese (which was more than twice as expensive as the classes for natives, but also much smaller which was why I learnt much more) or I could go to study together with the native students. I of course chose the foreigner class as I didn't know any Chinese at the beginning, but after an year or so I would have gladly switched to the native's class. Perhaps, the Norwegian high school should pick up this practice as well - but then, people would probably complain again if foreigners have to pay more than natives...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-14 19:06:55 |Display all floors
This is a serious matter in Europe!
It may spark other issues. Best is to resolve.
Harmony is key to stability.
Never underestimate the latent force it could attract different ethnic groups together!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.