Views: 6314|Replies: 15

MORE HOMELESS KIDS NOW LIVING IN CARS [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2011-11-26 12:16:09 |Display all floors
MORE HOMELESS KIDS NOW LIVING IN CARS

It's shocking to think that in this land of plenty, 17 million American children are living in poverty. That's nearly one in four.

Scott Pelley went to Central Florida, where the homeless shelters have filled up, and a lot of children are living in cars or trucks.

A truck is the home of the Metzger family: Arielle, 15, and her brother Austin, 13. Their mother died when they were very young. Their dad, Tom, is a carpenter who's been looking for work since Florida's construction industry collapsed. When foreclosure took their house, he bought the truck with his last thousand dollars.

Living in their truck for the last five months has been "an adventure," Arielle says.

"Yeah, it's not really that much an embarrassment. I mean, it's only life. You do what you need to do, right?" Arielle asks.

The Metzgers blend in with more than 1,100 homeless students in the Seminole County schools. At Casselberry School, we met fifteen students who'd been living in cars.

"Well, I worried that someone would just break in and steal my mom's purse," said Jade Wiley.

Jade Wiley is eight years old. She spent three weeks living in her car.

"I thought I was going to be stuck in the car," Jade said, adding that "a nice lady named Beth," gave them money to get into a home.
Beth Davalos said she just delivered help provided by the community.

Beth Davalos runs programs for homeless kids in the Seminole schools. She helps find temporary shelter, but it's tough. Of all the homeless families in Florida, two thirds are living on the street.

"People are running out of resources. The unemployment runs out. Their savings run out, and before you know it, they find themselves living in their car because they ran out of all options," Davalos said.

The kids we met, like the Metzgers, clean up in gas stations or YMCAs, keep up appearances by day, and search for safety by night.

"Every time I see like a teenager or any other kid fighting with their parents or arguing with them, and like not doing what they 're told it really hurts me. Because they could be in my shoes. And of course I don't want them to be in my shoes. But they need to learn to appreciate what they have and who they have in their life. Because it may be the last day they might have it," Arielle Metzger said.

Arielle and her brother Austin spend their days in the city library. The say education is their way out. Arielle plans to be a lawyer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-19 21:54:09 |Display all floors
This artlicle is based on mis-representation, mis-information and  mis-understanding of American the generous welfare system. A family of four can have an income of $50,000 USD (300,000 Yuan) and still get food money assistance, free donated food, housing and day care assistance from government. That $50,000 is more than the average workers in the USA ERNs per year.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-20 09:45:10 |Display all floors
In the USA homeless means something completely different than in much of the world. One can be considered 'homeless' if they are 25 and still live at home with mom and dad. If a 18 year old girl has a child, marries the father and moves into his parents home the family is considered 'homeless' because government thinks everyone is entitled to their own home. If three 21 year old friends share an apartment but would like to have their own apartment alone, they are considered 'homeless'. If a man gets out of prison and stays at a men's shelter he is considered homeless altho,' he has not yet had time to get a job to pay rent. So, 'homeless' in America is much different than 'homeless' in China. The article is based on myth , the encouragement of fraudulent/misuse of taxpayers dollars and hyped numbers. I have little sympathy for those who refuse to work, those who abuse drugs and refuse free treatment and those that live irresponsibilily while demanding government/taxpayers support their bad habits, wants and needs.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-20 18:51:14 |Display all floors
alata2jobs Post time: 2014-10-19 21:54
This artlicle is based on mis-representation, mis-information and  mis-understanding of American the ...

forget it...we all know what happened in US-A~
poverty~
unemployment~
debts~
high taxes~
no income~
lazy ppl relying on welfare~
no rights~
filtered educations~
d.gens~

we all knew~
盡忠報國

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-20 19:00:50 |Display all floors
slimpanda Post time: 2014-10-20 18:51
forget it...we all know what happened in US-A~
poverty~
unemployment~

And yet thousands of Chinese want to move there and study in US universities. Even presidents daughter went to US to study. Wonder why?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-20 19:29:37 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2014-10-20 19:00
And yet thousands of Chinese want to move there and study in US universities. Even presidents daug ...

u really think they study there?
they go there just to get visa...then can slowly become entrepreneurs there...to make money out of u all...dum-bo~
盡忠報國

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-20 19:31:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by slimpanda at 2014-10-20 19:32
mixamixa Post time: 2014-10-20 19:00
And yet thousands of Chinese want to move there and study in US universities. Even presidents daug ...

Chi-nese ideology~
1st must understand enemy characters, behaves, thoughts, sentiments...then can make use of u all~
thru out centuries Chi-nese able to do so~ that is why every corner of this world...there are Chi-nese businessmen~!

we ownzzz u by doing business~
盡忠報國

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.