Author: cindy1225

Should schools be allowed to punish students with bad grades?   [Copy link] 中文

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-2-26 15:28:33 |Display all floors
Punishing students to encourage or force them to learn, is highly ineffective. A teacher told me recently that she could 'force' her students to learn by giving them so much homework that they will be miserable. This is her idea of 'forcing' a student to learn. Not very clever (intelligent). Anyone who has such ideas is very far out of touch with the effectiveness of means and methods of teaching.

The greater challenge facing teachers today is to take responsibility for the outcome of students' learning and progress. Teachers who punish children to attempt to make them learn, put all responsibility on the student and accept no responsibility themselves. They use the path that is easiest for them, not what is best for the student.

Praise works far better than punishment. Those who argue against using praise to motivate students to achieve higher are themselves unknowledgeable about it because, frankly, they've never tried it. They will argue against it with what they 'believe' and not what they 'know.' A practice used by many teachers (and people for that matter) that isn't very intelligent.

I humbly suggest that you read my blogs about this topic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-27 00:15:55 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2014-2-26 02:28
Punishing students to encourage or force them to learn, is highly ineffective. A teacher told me rec ...

Michael really knows education!
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-27 00:16:13 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2014-2-26 02:28
Punishing students to encourage or force them to learn, is highly ineffective. A teacher told me rec ...

What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-2-27 05:12:41 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2014-2-27 00:16

Thank you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-28 03:51:52 |Display all floors
hello

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-3 05:34:09 |Display all floors
should schools be allowed to punish students?

i read this, i think  YES.

for bad grades , they be punished?

NO.  what is punishable is behavior, not result. if they misbehaves, they should be punished, they behave, no punishment whatever happens.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-3-7 14:41:01 |Display all floors
Aren't poor grades if they continue punishment in themselves? What worse punishment than failure at school?
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.