Author: expatter

Rogues Gallery: Ai Weiwei ...........   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-11-12 12:59:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2011-11-12 08:56
Dear Expatter,
how very remiss of me for not trying to go to that website RIGHT FROM THE START!
Today that link informed me thus: "Sorry, but we were unable to find what you were ...

No ..........

What I have stated is a fact and you should know me better by now  ..........   

I do not alter text or make statements that are not without some form of proof  ..........

I have posted the live link through the filter and hopefully it should appear soon ........

You can apologise then ...........

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-11-12 13:02:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2011-11-12 09:05
73:   Dear Expatter,
yes, the "cause celebre" we all admire - you, perhaps, a little less than my humble self...
Causes celebres always are irritants. See Lady Gaga's antics.
N ...
................................................................................................

Lady Gaga does not make her fame out of the Western trash Elite owned medias desire to see China rocked by political chaos ..........

I have not finished with this thread yet and it will show that your icon is simply a media wh0re  ..............   

This also applies to your post #76 ........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-12 13:23:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2011-11-12 12:59
No ..........
What I have stated is a fact and you should know me better by now  ..........   
I do not alter text or make s ...
.......................................................................................

OK the link to the Simon Kirby interview is live now ...............

So ..........

In the US he was a pavement artist bum looking for fame and fortune (a new Picasso) ...............

And a non-tax paying illegal over stayer ..........

And he is a proven liar when it comes to his part in the Bird's Nest from his own mouth  ...............

Those three things are now appropriately cited and firmly established ................

He returned to China after 12 years because he had no success in the US even though by that time he was  .........

A tax dodging US citizen ...........

A pattern is emerging here  .........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-12 14:15:45 |Display all floors

Art the Modern Way ..........

This article has 5 parts  .........

(1)        “Ai Weiwei’s Smashing Success at the Art Market”

by Yoichi Shimatzu – An exposure of a fraud [The 4th Media]
April 15, 2011

At a London auction held October 18, 2008, a three-photo work of Chinese avant garde artist Ai Weiwei was sold for a bid of 49,250 pounds sterling or about a half-million reminbi. The triptych, from a limited edition of eight identical pieces, was formerly owned by the Galerie Urs Meile, which is based in Lucerne and the 798 Art District in Beijing.  Ai Weiwei is a world-renowned artist and dissident, recently arrested on charges of financial irregularities related to his new Shanghai studio, which his supporters claim was prompted by political motives.

The Phillips de Pury auction catalog, describes the photograph series produced in 1995:  "The tripartite documentation of this now-famous act is the perfect illustration of Newton’s three Laws of Motion:  a poker-faced Ai holding the urn (the law of inertia), the urn dropping in midair (the law of resultant force), and the vessel’s fragments at his feet (the law of reciprocal actions)."

The series titled "Dropping a Han Dynasty Urn" is described by the auctioneer as "a painstakingly deliberate close-up of the split seconds required to permanently transform an artifact that had survived over two thousand years."

ai-urn02.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-12 16:14:37 |Display all floors

Continuation of (1)

Permanent transformation is a contrived way of saying: the ancient ceramic vessel was smashed deliberately by someone the Tate Modern has hailed as "China’s greatest artist."

The seller added: "While the triptych gained notoriety as an iconoclastic gesture, it encapsulates several broader constants in Ai’s work: the socio-political commentary on the random nature of vectors of power; questions of authenticity and value (vis-à-vis the artist’s comment that the value of ‘Dropping a Han Dynasty Urn’ has today exceeded that of the once-prized urn itself), and the cycle of creative destruction necessary for any culture’s survival and evolution."

The photograph set is something more than the visual record of an artistic gesture.  It is evidence for a criminal investigation under China’s Antiquities Law, which forbids destruction of the nation’s cultural heritage.
If this case is brought to trial – and the Ministry of Culture would be grossly negligent if it fails in its duty – the prosecution would first have to determine the nature of the charge related to urn smashing. Was it an act of vandalism, malicious in intent and senseless in its end result?  Or was it a commercial crime aimed at profiteering from the image of destruction, made possible by the urn’s intrinsic cultural worth and its market value, as described in the catalog?  

In short, is Ai Weiwei mainly a vandal or a crook?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-12 16:16:26 |Display all floors

Part 2

(2)Comparative Criminology

Ai Weiwei and his supporters decry the decision by Shanghai authorities to bulldoze his new studio over a violation of property laws. On the scale of destruction, in my opinion, demolishing a brick studio seems minor and ordinary compared with willfully shattering a 2,000-year-old vase.  Another studio can be built, but the urn as an entity is an irrecoverable loss.

Another way of looking at such violent actions is through Ai Weiwei’s own lens of conceptual art. Think of his studio being stripped of all mundane or economic matters, leaving only its symbolic value.  The driver of the bulldozer is "the artist" making a statement about "the cycle of creative destruction."  The Municipality of Shanghai should then put photos of the demolition up for auction at Phillips, Christies or Sotheby’s to earn revenues that could at least help city residents offset the wrecking costs. Actually, Ai Weiwei’s friends late last year held a crab dinner in celebration of the impending studio demolition, thereby unintentionally giving recognition to the anonymous bulldozer driver as one of their own in deed, if not spirit.

Under Ai Weiwei’s guiding concept of attacks against artworks as a valid type of art, George Bush should be awarded a grand prize for the ransacking of the Iraqi National Museum and Aurel Stein could qualify posthumously for an honorable mention in his theft of the Dunhuang manuscripts. If only Stein had been a daring artistic visionary instead of a banal retentive collector – for he could have instead spectacularly set fire to those venerable scrolls. Though a complete failure as an oil painter, Adolf Hitler was quite competent at shock art, far surpassing Ai Weiwei with the torching of hundreds of paintings and entire libraries from the decadent past.

The inspiration and direct influence on the radical artist and his pal, the theoretician of modernist aesthetics Liu Xiaobo, came from the Red Guard movement, which succeeded in dismantling countless [sic] "rotten" old Taoist shrines, Buddhist temples and Tibetan monasteries…

In interviews, Ai Weiwei describes antiquities as readymade art, or found objects (in contrast to the Dada movement, which focused on the "artifacts" of the modern Industrial Age).  He has no qualms about painting the Coca Cola logo on Neolithic pottery.  His adolescent years coincided when many precious treasures were desecrated, stolen or smuggled out of country.

Ai Weiwei’s casual description of picking up "found" objects of ancient origin – some of great monetary value – is reminiscent of the mental habits of the art thieves in western China who, as I know so well from several clashes at desert-ecology sites, are incredibly bold and cheeky when attempting to steal another’s property, or should we say "expropriate" for the "the masses"?…

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-12 16:17:24 |Display all floors

Part 3

(3) Rolling Stones [Offspring] Go Downhill

Bianca Jagger, who is sponsoring a worldwide petition demanding the release of Ai Weiwei, should get up to speed with his anti-art program.  Bianca, if you support an iconoclast like Master Ai, why then do you waste your time trying to save Hasankeyf, an ancient town in Turkey, from being flooded by a new dam?

In this world, Bianca dearest, there is past and future, losers and winners, aborigines and conquistadors.  You belong with the powerful, rich and famous.  Ai Sifu teaches people like you to let go of the past, just "drop it" like an old pot.  When those memories that hold you back are pulverized to bits, they’re gone forever.  Once everything is transformed, your life can begin afresh.  

Ai Weiwei is no doomed Inca or Apache; he is a New Yorker and so are you…

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.