Author: expatter

National Holiday: Great Wall Excursion …. [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-10-19 01:21:35 |Display all floors

DSCF1381.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-10-19 01:21:57 |Display all floors

DSCF1397.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-10-19 01:22:17 |Display all floors

DSCF1398.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-10-19 01:27:26 |Display all floors

But somrthing is wrong .......... ?

To be honest it turned out to be quite a painful experience that I would not recommend to anyone at that time of year and in that heat.

I even wore loose fitting shoes (hey! …. I was on holiday and a grockle), but the best part of the day after the huge climbs, 70 degree slopes (in loose shoes) , the heat, the eye gouging umbrellas and the people, people, people, was returning to our home base to melt into a soft armchair under the air-con with a cool beer.

It was done!

I had been to the Great Wall and I had the pictures, the video and the T-shirt.

Yet, I felt something was missing?

What had I missed?

Oh dear ……..  

I had missed the history of the place!

I knew nothing about the Great Wall other than it is in China, a National Heritage Site, the longest wall defense in the world and it can be seen from space.

Well that is of course if you have your own spacecraft.   

And that it can be a very uncomfortable day out.

I was determined to do better and go again maybe next year but with some more information and when there would be less people or even better, no people.

As it happened it turned out to be this year's National Day hence the thread title ................

And my first visit to Yanqing some 70 kilometres NW of Beijing ..........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-10-19 09:09:08 |Display all floors
Thank you for the pics.  

So the Yanqing pics are coming?   :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-10-19 09:33:04 |Display all floors
Personally I think winter is the best time to visit historic sites.

I once visited Taishan Mountain in winter. Chilly cold and sometimes scary with nobody in sight. But that experience was very unforgetable. All the history was exposed loud and clear in front of me without many people or even leaves at that time. .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-10-19 11:13:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2011-10-19 09:09
Thank you for the pics.  
So the Yanqing pics are coming?   :)

Yes ...........

The Yanqing Wall pics and a little history ..........

No ..........

I don't like slippery steps and slopes in the winter ...........

I cannot see much fun in slipping arse over tit in that environment ..........

I prefer a nice warm fire and a photo album with some professional shots on postcards   ...........   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.