Views: 1574|Replies: 5

"assess" VS. "appraise" in usage [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-3-27 22:04:38 |Display all floors
Would anyone please  tell  me what the difference between these two words in usgage is? Though I have aready looked up to an English -English dictionary, I don't open a daylight on them. Tks in advance.
P.S .
The ring was appraised at $40, 000.

Can "assess" replace "apraise" in above sentence?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-27 22:23:36 |Display all floors

FYR

to my understanding:
the word "assess" is used when the objective is relatively specific, for example,  to assess the value of .....or to assess the possibility of......
the word "appraise" is used when the objective is relatively comprehensive, for examply, to appraise the environmental impact on.......
similar words are "evaluate" and "valuate".

please correct me if above comment is wrong or insufficient!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-28 13:00:33 |Display all floors

assess and appraise

Would anyone please tell me what the difference between these two words in usgage is? Though I have aready looked up to an English -English dictionary, I don't open a daylight on them. Tks in advance.
P.S .

answer:  No.    But some American will use them interchangebale anyway; that is wrong grammar and usage.
---------------------------------
appraise,       evaluate, assess
估价appraise,评估,估计assess

May be this will help you:
the house is assessed a value of $500,000  even though the appraisal value from the bank is only $400,000.

appraise is to put an estimated  value on something.  to assess is to CALCULATE the value of somethig based on "footage", "equivalencing", "comparison", etc  (some formulae).

hope this will shed some daylight on your problem.

---dictionary meanings
appraise
1 : to set a value on : estimate the amount of
2 : to evaluate the worth, significance, or status of; especially : to give an expert judgment of the value or merit of

Main Entry: as•sess  
Pronunciation: &-'ses, a-
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, probably from Medieval Latin assessus, past participle of assidEre, from Latin, to sit beside, assist in the office of a judge -- more at ASSIZE
1 : to determine the rate or amount of (as a tax)
2 a : to impose (as a tax) according to an established rate b : to subject to a tax, charge, or levy
3 : to make an official valuation of (property) for the purposes of taxation
4 : to determine the importance, size, or value of
5 : to charge (a player or team) with a foul or penalty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-28 13:49:58 |Display all floors

I am till a bit in the dark. LOL

It is easy to understand your explanation about these two words, but I am still confused by my original sample sentence.
=======================================

answer: No. But some American will use them interchangebale anyway; that is wrong grammar and usage.
==========================================
The ring was appraised at $40, 000. 这个戒估价为$40, 000. (估算的价格)
The ring was assessed a value of $40, 000.  这个戒指被估评为$40, 000.( 通过参照物,精确计算的)
Is it correct for both grammar and usage now?
If not, please kindly tell me the reasons if you are free.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-28 14:07:54 |Display all floors

assess is used by the government to arrive a value so they will set a tax on it

The ring was assessed a value of $40, 000. 这个戒指被估评为$40, 000.( 通过参照物,精确计算的) ---> that is only correct when you are being taxed for the ring and the assess value is $40.000.  Else it is used wrongly.  The jewelry shop CANNOT legally said that it is assessed at $40,000 because he is not the government.  On the other hand, the government cannot say the house is appraised at $500,000 because they are not a legal appraiser.  Only a banker or a agent with a license to appraise a house can legally do that.

assess is used by An Authority to set a tax on a value ususally based on a formula.

The goverment will assess a tax  value on the ring after it is appraised. E.g. the ring is appraised at $50,000.  So the import tax assessed on it is 1% of its assessed value which is the same as the appraised value.

does that make better sense?  You just have to be American to get assessed on tax of the house and personal possessions, long enough,  before you get the funny feeling, that there is a diff between appraisal and assessment.

assessment is from a government authority to put a tax on the value of something.
appraise is for  an estimate value.  Has nothing to do with tax.  and it does not need a formulae. It is based on experience and personal judgment, esp. for a painting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-28 14:17:32 |Display all floors

I open a daylight on them now. TKS.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.