Views: 2290|Replies: 5

Chinese car buyers show off with a ‘Baoma’(BMW) [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2011-8-15 19:12:46 |Display all floors
China may have grown powerful enough to lecture the US on its debt problems but, when it comes to luxury cars, most local consumers still do not trust their own automotive industry.

That is good news for global luxury carmakers, which have seen China vault from the bottom to near the top of their sales charts in less than a decade.

"I’m buying a car, not a bicycle,” says Zhang Shengli, aged 36, who explains that he checked out the reputations of various homegrown brands online and decided instead on a BMW. “I feel I can’t trust a Chinese car,” says Mr Zhang, who has dropped into Shanghai Fande Automotives, the German carmaker’s first dealership in China, to pay the deposit on his new Rmb441,000 ($68,600) BMW 520 executive sedan.

He chose that model because he would have to wait “only” until November or December to take delivery – highlighting the long waiting times common for many luxury cars in China. “I wanted a car before the spring festival,” he says, referring to the next Lunar New Year in January.

Demand for foreign luxury cars has exploded since import controls were eased in 2004, says Eric Mao, chief executive of Shanghai Bowdex, which owns nine BMW dealerships in eastern China. Less than 20 years ago, “no one even knew what a Baoma was”, says Mr Mao, who uses the Chinese name for BMW that means “precious horse”.

Today China is the biggest global market for the Mercedes S-Class upmarket sedan and Porsche Cayenne sport utility vehicle and will soon be the largest market for Audi, the local market leader in luxury cars.

While overall growth in China’s car market is forecast to be in single digits this year, Mercedes-Benz sales rose nearly 50 per cent in the first seven months of 2011. “German high-end carmakers own a distinct brand proposition that makes them the preferred choice to demonstrate success and show off one’s accomplishment among the social peer group,” says Klaus Paur of Synovate, a Shanghai automotive consultancy.

Mr Mao says many of his customers are first-time buyers with little personal knowledge of cars. “In China, so many people have got rich – so many – but they don’t have that much experience, so they just follow what other people say,” he says. “If their friend has a BMW 7 series and they do not, they can lose face.”

Decisions about optional extras, too, are about showing off, he says. “They want things they can see; if they can’t see it, they don’t want it,” he says, listing leather seats and in-car television sets as favoured options.

Keeping up with friends, colleagues and neighbours is a powerful motive for buying a luxury car anywhere – but nowhere more so than in China.
5.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-16 08:29:08 |Display all floors
Sorry to say that but I can understand the man. BMW (along with several other luxury car producers) really offers great quality for the price - everything is thought through, complete and intuitive - and, what hit me strongest in comparison to Chinese cars, they're very quiet inside, even on the motor way. In addition, they offer (at least in Europe, I don't have experience in China in that field) a great service and reliability.

The only Chinese company that produces cars that appeal to me is BYD - because they're really having some good ideas well implemented. If I'd live in China and I wouldn't want to afford a luxury car, I'd definitely go for a BYD electro car with range extender - I'd never buy an Chevrolet Volt due to the fact, that they're using lithium ion batteries, which are very short-lived, while BYD uses its iron batteries that are supperior as soon after one year time and can be used over many years.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2011-8-16 23:01:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2011-8-16 09:27
Who needs a car? Who needs a Beemer? Only the stale, boring, flashy, showy, conceited snobs that live a fast and empty life.

THAT BE ME......S  CLASS SINCE 87...I'M ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCEPT "CONCEITED SNOB".....btw two of my ex's have BMW's....and they are all of the above....
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2011-8-17 10:20:55 |Display all floors

Yes when I first bought one it was called SEL NOw they are called S Class

they dropped the EL  around 2000..BTW.I'm really not a conceited snob.but I am rather shallow....

PS everyone has been BLACK..not sure what that means.but I don't have a little dik
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-26 17:19:35 |Display all floors
car not run fast as horse

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-8-26 17:38:25 |Display all floors
I love BMW.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.