Views: 1058|Replies: 0

I had a friend with albinism [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-7-30 14:56:17 |Display all floors
When I was around 7 years old, I had a friend with albinism. At that time I don't know what it was. I found out about albinism when I was much older. Anyway, it was a girl. I thought she was so beautiful. Her hair was like silver + white + blond + brown. I mean the colours combined together. It is really hard to describe. Her eyes were reddish-brown and her lip red. Her skin was very fair. I must say she does not seem to have the extreme form of albinism where the skin is white like paper and the hair white. Albinism varies.

Due to my Selective Mutism, I don't have friends during recess. So I will go to the canteen and stand at the same spot everyday. My school is very big. I think it is bigger than 10 soccer fields. It is like a university. There is this USA plane at my school. I don't even know if it belongs to the USA but I call it the USA plane. I thought outside my country, it is USA. The whole world is USA except my country. This is the TV's fault. I watch USA shows. Actually I also watch China shows like 'Journey to the West' and I was aware that Chinese people exist. I didn't think about China as a country. It just didn't occur to me and I didn't think about it. Anyway, going back to the plane...No one dares to go near it because the plane is located down a very deep slope and there are a lot of tall grass (I don't know what to call it) and you never know what creatures are crawling on the ground. I think the slope is about 50m deep and covers a big area.  It was a white plane, not those very big type. Anyway I stand near the edge of the slope and eat my lunch. This girl, she happened to be there and we stand around there eating lunch.

We did not talk for I think a few months. She was very shy. Now please don't include romance and all. At that age I don't even know what falling in love is. We did talk finally and I asked her "have you eaten?" and she said "yes". It was a stupid question because we were both eating lunch at that time. We ate snacks so we just stand at near the slope. I believe our friendship lasted over a year since we met at the slope. And we talked at most twice. The same question and the same answer. After talking we laugh and look away. There was no 'hello' or 'goodbye'. I think the total amount of time we talked was less than 1 minute.

Then suddenly I was told I am migrating overseas. I immediately thought I was going to USA. I was very sad but excited because the people on TV look very different. It was school holiday and I didn't have a chance to say 'goodbye'. Sometimes I wonder what she is doing now. I hope to go back and trace her. I don't even know her name. I don't think she knows mine either.

I think people with albinism face a lot of discrimination. I remember while working, this guy with albinism passed the interview. The only thing standing in his way is the people at the department he would be working in. One by one we were asked if it is ok for him to work. I was very hurt by one girl's remark. She said "I'm am scared of those people. I don't want to be near them. I  can't work with them around". As such, he didn't get the job.

Do you have any friends with albinism? Are you afraid to be around people with albinism?
9/11 was an outside job

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.