Views: 4370|Replies: 24

Mothers Battle Breastfeeding Restrictions With Nurse-In [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-5-20 19:32:42 |Display all floors
FOREST PARK, Ga. -- Local mothers are banding together to fight breastfeeding restrictions that could lead to fines or jail time.

The women are upset over a new public indecency law that puts limits public breast-feeding in Forest Park. Last week, city council approved an ordinance that bans breastfeeding children over 2 years old in public. Some Forest Park women are saying the city doesn’t have a right to make that decision.

“To basically compare me to a stripper, I find very demeaning,” Katherine Frederick told Channel 2’s Tony Thomas.

She and more than 100 others, who call themselves lactivists, plan to protest at a nurse-in Monday morning at Forest Park City Hall. They have spread the word on a Facebook page. An online petition against the ordinance has garnered more than 700 signatures.

Forest Park's city manager said leaders are simply trying to be proactive -- and taking aim at broader nudity issues -- not nursing in public.

“This ordinance allows any lady that is breastfeeding a child up to 2 years old, after that of course, we might want to have a discussion with them, but it doesn't affect that type of conduct at all,” city manager John Parker said.

But Frederick said mothers need to take a stand before the restrictions get worse.

“I find that incredibly offensive and outrageous. It's a very natural process. It's how I feed my child,” Frederick said. “The limits are going to shrink, then it's going to be after one, or after six months, then you can't breast feed in public anymore.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-5-20 19:48:26 |Display all floors

Why ...

Originally posted by JFenix at 2011-5-20 19:32
FOREST PARK, Ga. -- Local mothers are banding together to fight breastfeeding restrictions that could lead to fines or jail time.

The women are upset over a new public indecency law that puts li ...

...are you complaining,Fiend ? The NWO looks down on the family and traditional gender roles.This is an
inevitable side effect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-5-20 19:57:50 |Display all floors
I support breast feeding.  I am very pro-family.

I am against labeling breastfeeding as 'indecent'.  

We need to support breastfeeding in public.  

What the hell is wrong with people?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-5-20 21:23:41 |Display all floors
first of all, the law only bans breastfeeding children over 2 years old. And I think not many mothers are doing this to children at that age.

Then... I don't know the exact text of the law. Does it ban breastfeeding at all, or just showing off your breasts? If the latter, then the woman just can put a cloth over her breast and the baby. Which I think most women would do anyway.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-5-20 23:50:22 |Display all floors
#4 The problem is battling the perception of breastfeeding as indecent.  Making laws where a woman could get fined for breastfeeding is insane - it shouldn't matter if you see a partial breast exposed.  Breastfeeding is not a sexual act.  It cannot be indecent.

This is what discourages mothers from breastfeeding at all.  And giving formula is almost child abuse when you learn all the statistics on it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-5-20 23:56:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2011-5-20 23:50
#4 The problem is battling the perception of breastfeeding as indecent.  Making laws where a woman could get fined for breastfeeding is insane - it shouldn't matter if you see a partial breast exposed.  Breastfeeding is not a sexual act.  It cannot be indecent.

breastfeeding is not a sexual act, but seeing an exposed breast still can provoke sexual reactions in a man. I know that men should be able to control their reactions, especially in such an innocent and asexual situation. At the other hand, I think that women should not expose their breasts more than necessary, in whatever situation. That is what I think, covering it when possible might be a compromise. If it's not possible, then it's ok too.

Originally posted by JFenix at 2011-5-20 23:50
This is what discourages mothers from breastfeeding at all.  And giving formula is almost child abuse when you learn all the statistics on it.  
I don't know what statistics you are referring to, but you can't generalise this. It widely depends on the mother's life style. Many annoying or even harmful substances can be transferred to the baby breast milk.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-5-21 00:12:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bern2009 at 2011-5-20 23:56
breastfeeding is not a sexual act, but seeing an exposed breast still can provoke sexual reactions in a man. I know that men should be able to control their reactions, especially in such an innocent and asexual situation. At the other hand, I think that women should not expose their breasts more than necessary, in whatever situation. That is what I think, covering it when possible might be a compromise. If it's not possible, then it's ok too.

The only way to change the reaction to a man getting 'stimulated' from watching breastfeeding (that's pretty sick btw), is desensitization.  They should see more woman breastfeeding.  If a man only links breasts with his pleasure, its because that is his only relationship with them.  You have to establish that 1. breasts are made to feed babies.  That is their main purpose - not to be your fun bags.  We have been doing exactly what you suggest and less and less women will breastfeed due to lack of support.  Even within families, relatives can act as if its a revolting act.

And as far as the statistics - just spend some time with any breast feed baby and then do the same with a formula fed baby and count the times a formula-fed baby throws up.   The difference is amazing.  People now just think its normal for a baby to 'spit-up' constantly, but its not. you just don't see that with breastfed babies.  If you knew the food you were giving your baby made them sick, why give it to them?!!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.