Views: 3243|Replies: 8

India may beat China in long run: Niall Ferguson [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-3-23 17:12:13 |Display all floors
In his latest interview on his new book "Civilization: The West and the Rest", historian Niall Ferguson says
China in many ways is the hare and India is the tortoise in that old nursery tale.

Following is part of the transcript in the interview.

Niall Ferguson: I would argue china in many ways is the hare and India is the tortoise in that old nursery tale ... for the next 10-20 years china is going to look like the hare, running faster, well ahead of India in the economic race, but the tortoise may yet win the race over a longer time horizon ...if you look ahead the next 30 years. two major problem china will have to grapple w in the next generation, number one demographic imbalances form the one child policy. Number two a transition to a more democratic political system. I'm in no doubt that the rise of the Chinese middle class, the growth of a free market economy implies a change in China's political system towards some kind of representative govt. Hard to have that kind of transition smoothly. India has got none of those problems -it's already a democracy, not a perfect democracy but is netter than none in that sense I’m relatively optimistic about India’s future.

In my new book civilisation i argue that there are six killer applications, six magical institutions that put the west ahead of the rest after 1500. And of these six, China does not have the full complement - India does. India’s got economic competition, it's got science to a pretty high level, and it’s got the rule of law and representative govt which is also crucial, as well as modern medicine, consumer society and the work ethic. These were things that 100 years ago you couldn't really say about it. China has downloaded many of these, but not democracy not the rule of law. Those things are hugely imp for societies to be innovative or for the long run. Freedom - of speech, of press, of association - very important if you compare India and china - I travel to both a lot- the most striking thing is the lack of freedom in China compared to the freedom in India.

Still, the key words here are democracy and freedom. Will they decide the course of these two nations? We'll see.
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-23 17:15:03 |Display all floors
And here is the link to the interview:
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/india ... guson/146686-3.html
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-27 03:43:44 |Display all floors
So laughable to realize how resentful are the westerners who have different ideology from China.  

Need urgently some psychiatric treatment to heal their insecurity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-27 03:45:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by totothedog at 2011-3-23 03:32 PM
This anus is trying to set up India and 中國 as competitors and rivals.

When the thieved state of Auztralia's ambassador to 中國, Dr. Gregory Clarke reported that 中國 was innocent in the borde ...

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2011-4-3 10:06:54 |Display all floors
The fact that India is a Democracy gives them a better chance to become a World Power over China...
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-3 10:26:44 |Display all floors

Democrazy is not working for everybody

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-3 13:02:53 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.