Author: dragonlover

8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-3-13 22:38:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2011-3-13 22:25
I hope our forum's armchair generals who love to talk about how they would nuke the sh#t out of the US and Japan see this and start rethinking....

Why would this change their minds?  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-13 22:45:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2011-3-13 22:38

Hey, this is a NATURAL DISASTER that nobody wants to see!

If you are so afraid, dig a hole in the ground and hide there. You will be perfectly safe. Don't forget to store enough food and wa ...

You are missing the point here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-13 22:52:48 |Display all floors

California 'closely monitoring' Japan nuclear leak

(AFP) – 16 hours ago
LOS ANGELES — California is closely monitoring efforts to contain leaks from a quake-damaged Japanese nuclear plant, a spokesman said Saturday, as experts said radiation could be blown out across the Pacific.

While officials downplayed any immediate danger, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission deployed two experts to Japan, where the Fukushima plant, which was rocked by a large explosion earlier in the day in the aftermath of Japan's strongest-ever earthquake.

"At present there is no danger to California. However we are monitoring the situation closely in conjunction with our federal partners," Michael Sicilia, spokesman for California Department of Public Health, told AFP.

"California does have radioactivity monitoring systems in place for air, water and the food supply and can enhance that monitoring if a danger exists," he added.

He was speaking as Japanese authorities moved to calm fears of a meltdown and said a huge explosion Saturday had not ruptured the container surrounding the reactor, although there had already been some radiation leakage prior to the explosion.

Experts have suggested that, if there were a reactor meltdown or major leak at Fukushima, the radioactive cloud would likely be blown out east across the Pacific, towards the US West Coast.

"The wind direction for the time being seems to point the (nuclear) pollution towards the Pacific," said Andre-Claude Lacoste of the French

Nuclear Safety Authority, briefing journalists in Paris on the Japanese crisis.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission meanwhile said it has sent two experts to Japan, and has been in regular contact with Japanese officials about the crisis.

"We have some of the most expert people in this field in the world working for the NRC and we stand ready to assist in any way possible," commission chairman Gregory Jaczko said in a statement announcing the deployment.

He said the pair were experts in boiling water nuclear reactors and are part of a broader US aid team sent to the disaster zone.

Earlier the NRC said it was "examining all available information as part of the effort to analyze the event and understand its implications both for Japan and the United States."

While US nuclear experts acknowledged the seriousness of Japan's reactor crisis, some stressed that taking steps in the United States such as distributing iodine tablets -- which prevent iodine 131 from being absorbed into the body -- would be "vastly premature."

"It's a big ocean. These (radiation) releases are essentially going to be at ground level," said Ken Bergeron, a physicist who has worked on nuclear reactor accident simulation.

"We should not confuse it with health issues in the United States."

Japan is roughly 5,000 miles (8,000 kilometers) from the US West Coast.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-13 23:07:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2011-3-13 20:08
My best wishes for the brave people working to stabilize the reactor and preventing worse....the chances for them to survive are very low.

They have some chances to keep affected, yes.
But the part of the plant that collapsed is not THAT essential as it seems.
The Container is in a part below that destroyed part, and not even directly exposed to the outside.
There is still a solid concrete construction remaining between the Container and the Outside environment.
The destroyed part DID contain SOME radiation from getting outside.
(I am roughly familiar with the reactor layout.)

But it is YET far from being Chernobyl, and I hope it stays that way.

Although I believe the Japanese Gouvernment that in the given Situation they actually really don't know all the details yet.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-13 23:13:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2011-3-13 22:07

[quote]Originally posted by andr11 at 2011-3-13 22:05
In a worst case scenario mainland China could be severely affected.

Why people in this forum ignoring this ?

Why no information or precautions taken by the authorities ?

The winds there blow eastwards and northwards.....there could be a thread for Russia but not for China as far as I understand it. [/quote]

I do not want to calm you down too much, it is good for you to pay attention.

But I got affected by the Chernobyl Disaster at a much closer distance than China's (at least Jiangsu's, already checked it) and all is almost fine, just need a minor medical treatment substituting my thyroid functions,
which consists of just one pill every morning.

Whatever you do now, by any means, STAY CALM!
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-13 23:14:15 |Display all floors
And now even a Volcano spits fire in Japan.....
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-13 23:15:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2011-3-13 23:14
And now even a Volcano spits fire in Japan.....

Murphy's law,
what more could I say to that.

As if the Japanese wouldn't have yet enough to worry about
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.