Views: 11526|Replies: 89

Rural children should shun university? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-3-11 08:54:08 |Display all floors
Wang Ping, a CPPCC member , who is also head of the China Ethnic Museum, proposed during a CPPCC session that rural children should be discouraged from attending higher education, because university graduates from the countryside 1. will have more difficulty in landing jobs in the cities, 2. failing that, they are also unwilling to return to their hometowns.

The implication: Stop wasting urban resources that you are not entitled to in the first place.
You are not elite to begin with, and you will never be.
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-12 07:00:49 |Display all floors

What I don't understand

What I don't understand about the Chinese is the way they view university education as THE important thing in life.

From what I know, they would make great sacrifices to do this.  Families taking on heavy loans and girls "shedding their clothes" or turning to becoming er nais for some wealthy businessmen just so that they can pay for their tuition fee.  Is that all worth it ?

Are the Chinese really PASSIONATE about higher learning ?

Or are they only interested in pursuing a university education to assure themselves (or parents putting their children through it) of landing a good job and a comfortable life in the future ?

So, what is the MOTIVE (if not passion for higher learning) for so many Chinese seeking a university education which they (and also a MAJORITY of the people in the world today) can hardly afford?
永垂不朽

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-12 07:58:45 |Display all floors

Need to understand the situation in China ...

Originally posted by DanseMacabre at 2011-3-11 08:54
Rural children should shun university?

Wang Ping, a CPPCC member , who is also head of the China Ethnic Museum, proposed during a CPPCC session that rural children should be discouraged from attending higher education, because university graduates from the countryside 1. will have more difficulty in landing jobs in the cities, 2. failing that, they are also unwilling to return to their hometowns.

The implication: Stop wasting urban resources that you are not entitled to in the first place.

I am not entirely against what the CPPCC member's suggestion but need to understand the situation in China better.

In a previous thread, I discussed with some forumites regarding China proposing a law to enforce children to visit their aged parents more regularly.  Many came to oppose it for both practical and idealistic reasons.  Practical as in the burden of costs on the migrant workers.  Idealistic as in an infringement of one's human right (i.e. the law should not dictate a private or familial decision to visit or not to visit one's parents or how regularly).  But all of the forumites (except for one sh*tting her/his mother) agreed that they want to visit their parents and they do not oppose the Confucian ideology of filial piety or children showing respect and obedience to their parents.

If the above is the problem faced by China and her people and the no. 1 and 2 reasons [Purple] are real, then the CPPCC member is probably right in providing a practical solution to the problem/problems in present China.

No doubt, his particularly mention of the "rural children" will incense many people at first, and I am not spared.  But, think about it.  If all 1.3 billion Chinese were university graduates, how many will land as road sweepers or toilets cleaners?  Could that be their ideal after all the sacrifices they made ?

It is probably also time for the Chinese people to do some RE-THINKING and be more PRACTICAL people.
永垂不朽

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-12 08:09:52 |Display all floors

HIGHLY DISTORTED "implication" !

Originally posted by DanseMacabre at 2011-3-11 08:54
Wang Ping, a CPPCC member , who is also head of the China Ethnic Museum, proposed during a CPPCC session that rural children should be discouraged from attending higher education, because universit ...

[Purple] - NOT necessarily.

My Opinion --

For all the Chinese people to be in "the first place" or elite, it takes time and will be very tough from now on.

But if the Chinese really want a quick solution, it is possible too.  But they need to conquer America and the West ....... this is no laughing matter but my SERIOUS opinion.

[ Last edited by chopsticks11 at 2011-3-12 08:13 AM ]
永垂不朽

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-12 08:19:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chopsticks11 at 2011-3-12 07:00
Are the Chinese really PASSIONATE about higher learning ?

depends how you see it.

It's not Passion for higher learning as a self purpose as I observed it at jewish friends (and embrace myself since finding the right major for me).

It is seen, pursued and embraced as THE WAY to a higher and better Income in the future.

- which should be a fair reason, considering the conditions in China.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-3-12 08:26:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chopsticks11 at 2011-3-12 07:58
In a previous thread, I discussed with some forumites regarding China proposing a law to enforce children to visit their aged parents more

Let me solve your puzzle one after one.

bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/viewthread.php?gid=2&tid=693434&extra=page%3D1

[ Last edited by 468259058 at 2011-3-12 08:27 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-12 08:29:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chopsticks11 at 2011-3-12 07:58

No doubt, his particularly mention of the "rural children" will incense many people at first, and I am not spared.  But, think about it.  If all 1.3 billion Chinese were university graduates, how many will land as road sweepers or toilets cleaners?  Could that be their ideal after all the sacrifices they made ?.

But they should all have the fair right to pursue a potential way out of that fate, based upon their potential and their performance.

The CPC deliberatly making it depending on the background of the Children, taking the chance away from the less advantaged and manifesting that order into concrete (as it is, btw, done in NKorea),  would be the foremost and ultimate downfall away from everything Marx originally had in Mind.
Or it would pave the way to the Revolution, that the CPC, unlike written in Constitution, does not really seem to be eager to have.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.