Views: 6283|Replies: 70

Moscow airport bombed [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-1-25 03:00:20 |Display all floors
Moscow's Domodedovo airport has been rocked by a bomb explosion that an airport spokesman says has killed 35 people.

More than 100 people were injured - 20 of them critically - by the blast, which reports suggest was the work of a suicide bomber.

Russia's chief investigator said terrorists were behind the attack.

The airport - the busiest serving Russia's capital - is 40km (25 miles) south-east of the city centre.

President Dmitry Medvedev vowed those behind the attack would be tracked down.

He ordered increased security across Russia's capital, its airports and other transport hubs, and called an emergency meeting with top officials. He also postponed his planned departure for this week's World Economic Forum at Davos.

BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera said immediate suspicion about Monday's attack would fall on militants from the Caucasus region.

Militant groups fighting in the Caucasus know how important the perception that the president and prime minister provide a secure society is, and to undermine that is a key aspect of their aims, adds our correspondent.

Last March the Russian capital's underground system was rocked by two female suicide bombers from Russia's volatile Dagestan region, who detonated their explosives on the busy metro system during rush hour, killing 40 people and injuring more than 80.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-25 03:00:55 |Display all floors
Reports suggest Monday's blast at Domodedovo hit the international arrivals hall - which was packed as several international flights had just landed - creating a cloud of smoke. The device is thought to have contained the equivalent of 7kg (15lb) of TNT.

"The explosion occurred in the international arrivals hall in a public area, to which people who are not passengers have free access," airport spokeswoman Yelena Galanova told Interfax news agency.

According to eyewitnesses quoted by Russian TV's Vesti news programme, before detonating the explosives the bomber shouted: "I'll kill you all!"

Briton Mark Green, who was on a British Airways flight that landed at the airport before the explosion, told BBC News there were thousands of people in the baggage collection area, baggage hall and queue for immigration at the time of the blast.

"We were walking out through the exit of the arrivals hall towards the car, and there was this almighty explosion, a huge bang... my colleague and I looked at each other and said 'Christ that sounds like a car bomb or something,' because the noise was, literally, it shook you," Mr Green told BBC News.

He described scenes of panic and how he gave a drink of water to a bloodied Russian man whose face was blackened with soot.

After the blast, the dead and wounded were moved around the area on luggage trolleys.

In the aftermath of the explosion, Mr Medvedev told Russian state television a commission of inquiry would be established "to conduct urgent on-the-spot investigations".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-25 03:01:30 |Display all floors

Moscow airport bombed

_50929217_moscow_domod_airprt6_464.gif

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-25 03:04:29 |Display all floors

Russia is struggling hard against terrorism

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2011-1-25 03:17:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by manoj10 at 2011-1-25 03:04

Anyone missing from here?

Chao Ren VFP

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-25 03:19:34 |Display all floors
Ah, beat me to it. I'll have to delete my thread if it's posted...

And I'm just waiting for someone to point the finger at Mossad.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2011-1-25 03:34:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Tremblingblue at 2011-1-25 03:19
Ah, beat me to it. I'll have to delete my thread if it's posted...

And I'm just waiting for someone to point the finger at Mossad.

I nearly posted something sensible earlier. :)

Iv'e booked an app't to see the Doctor

Chao Ren VFP

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.