Author: leokun

Adult children must visit parents regularly by law   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-1-13 21:31:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by andr0078 at 2011-1-11 22:39
Tigress & Kiwi,

Will you stop flirting with each other please!    

that tigress did not know i use to call that kiwi FARTS skinny legs
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-13 21:33:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NE_Tigress at 2011-1-9 21:47
Chinese children fight to get train tickets to go home and see their parents in the coming Spring Festival

i was in one of those crowds for two years ie 2009&2010 la
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-16 12:30:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2011-1-13 13:17

It's unique to China I think, this filial piety, but I could be wrong.

While I am not exactly sure that filial piety is unique to China, I am sure that it is one of Confucius' teachings.  Filial piety is also subscribed to by the Chinese religions - Taoism and Buddhism.

You are, however, right that filial piety is not a value of the West and, certainly, not subscribed to by their Christian religion which only believes in its "almighty god".

I guess this is one of the divides between Chinese and the West.  So, as Chinese, we have to be careful when taking into consideration any views of Westerners; especially when they don't have such values of ours.

Nonetheless, even if you do not practise filial piety, "respecting and caring for our aged parents" are in itself a selfless act which we have been teaching to our young; whether you believe in filial piety or not.

Like the saying, "Charity begins at home".  Our Chinese's selflessness was learnt from young; the way our parents respect our grandparents and carry on from generation to generation.  We practise what we teach.

[ Last edited by chopsticks11 at 2011-1-16 12:32 PM ]
永垂不朽

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-16 12:38:42 |Display all floors

I do think that a law mandating kids visit their parents is wrong morally.

If that is your belief, then I suppose you would agree that it is also morally wrong to have a law mandating parents to send their children to school when they are reach a certain age.

Wouldn't that be so ?
永垂不朽

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-16 13:18:08 |Display all floors

Kids should want to visit their folks, not be made to! If it's that bad, that a law must be enacted, in China, maybe Chinese folks better look at which direction their society is going!

Are you suggesting Old Folks' Home for their aged parents ?

That's how old folks in the West are treated; either dumped into old folks' home or be the government's responsibility.  It is no wonder the welfare system in the West is bankrupting its government.

If going by your argument on what the kids "should want", I think the answer is that they all want to visit their parents more often.  Thus, the law will make their wishes come true.

Yes, you may ask, why "enact" the law then?  I will say, "why not"?

We should not see law as always negative or law against the free-will of the people as bad.  

Indeed, some laws serve to punish and to prohibit certain behaviour and consequences.  Some law serves to preserve; just like America's constitution law to protect the rights of her people.

So, don't just oppose the law or any law that require something from you.  See and understand what the PURPOSE the law serves.

To me, I think the law serves a good purpose and I am with it.
永垂不朽

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-16 13:33:18 |Display all floors

As has been mentioned by other forumites, it's not so easy for some people to go and visit their folks because of distant and monetary or work reaons  

Their immediate reaction - resistance to changes - is only natural.

We cannot trust this reaction and say the law is therefore bad.

468... had said the law was unreasonable and I asked what the "unreasonable statements" were but he hadn't answered.  I also asked if the law was targeted at the rich with concubines, would he object? He also hadn't answered.

How much of the law has the people read and understood it and what it encompasses?  So, how can you trust their immediate reactions and therefore conclude that it is "morally wrong" ?
永垂不朽

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-1-16 13:50:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chopsticks11 at 2011-1-16 13:18
So, don't just oppose the law or any law that require something from you.  See and understand what the PURPOSE the law serves.To me, I think the law serves a good purpose and I am with it. ...

1.You  mixed moral force with legal force. Such as a young people won't offer his seats to a senior people in public Bus. In this case, the young people breaks morals but not laws.

2. the base of modern ( the republic dynasty, year after 1912  ) Mainland Chinese legistlation isn't traditional Chinese confucianism any more. The new republic's base after 1949 is Marxist. Such as "Anti-revolution" was the first one statement in criminal laws for a long time.

3. Ordinary people used to say nothing while the king and his chancellor made laws in fedual age. But now it is Republic age, People want to discuss in the law making process through types of channel, however, most present laws were made in closed doors and were approved by the fake people's representatives or the rubber stamps.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.