Views: 2617|Replies: 14

Is foreign word a threat? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-12-27 11:22:41 |Display all floors
Chinese media organizations and publishers are banned from randomly mixing foreign languages with Chinese in publications. When it is necessary to use foreign phrases or words, they should be accompanied by a translation or explanation in Chinese, according to a new regulation.

The regulation was issued on Monday by the General Administration of Press and Publication (GAPP) with the aim of standardizing the use of language in newspapers and other publications, particularly when foreign languages are employed.

The administration said the increasingly random appearance of foreign words and abbreviations, especially English, in publications is damaging the Chinese language.

Under the regulation, abbreviations such as GDP (gross domestic product), CEO (chief executive officer) and CPI (consumer price index), which regularly feature in publications, should either be translated into Chinese or followed by explanatory notes in Chinese.

This includes requiring the use of English place names, people and companies to be translated into Chinese.

In an age of globalization when some foreign words have been widely accepted by readers, isn't it absurd to eliminate them in all publications just for the sake of protection of the Chinese language? Language isn't a stable thing and should develop and change with the times. Otherwise it is dead.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-27 11:33:22 |Display all floors
my new avatar``
bullshi*t!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-27 11:37:54 |Display all floors
The problem is that Chinese, with its extremely limited pronunciation capability, is abusing foreign words. It is a very ugly scene to see Chinese or Japanese to use English with neither correct pronunciation nor understanding of the true meaning/usage.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-12-27 11:41:54 |Display all floors
I support this.
Originally posted by cindy1225 at 2010-12-27 11:22  standardizing the use of language in newspapers and other publications...

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-12-27 11:43:18 |Display all floors
or you maybe read Shanghai Expo like "Shanghai SB Conferece" in newspaper.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-27 11:46:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cindy1225 at 2010-12-27 11:22
Chinese media organizations and publishers are banned from randomly mixing foreign languages with Chinese in publications. When it is necessary to use foreign phrases or words, they should be accom ...

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE with the proposal to explain the foreign word and abbreviation after all they don't belong to the same language as the Chinese.

Had it been an English media/publication, they would DEMAND the same explanation of any Chinese character added.

So, why NOT for the Chinese media/publication ?

In so doing, has it got to mean that a foreign word represents "threat" to the Chinese ??

C'mon !  WHY so HYPER-narrow minded and sensitive with every Chinese's suggestion for change especially when it is for the better ?

Quite the contrary, I think it should not be that the Chinese language "should change with the times" BUT people like you should CHANGE and learn to be MORE OPEN, RECEPTIVE and see from the Chinese perspective which moves with PROGRESS !!

What I said, remains.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-27 11:51:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by timbatu at 2010-12-27 11:37
The problem is that Chinese, with its extremely limited pronunciation capability, is abusing foreign words. It is a very ugly scene to see Chinese or Japanese to use English with neither correct pr ...

Oh, c'mmon timbatu.  Don't be racist.  You know NOTHING about the Chinese and how they speak.

I have a suggestion.  Go listen to how a FILIPINO speak English !!!  They say  the English FUC K all the time .

What I said, remains.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.