Views: 1989|Replies: 12

Coronation Street. Brit question. [Copy link] 中文

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2010-12-9 02:52:18 |Display all floors
Coronation Street airs 6 times / week here. Quite amazing program cz it's now been running for 50 years!!!

Does this program give a realistic perception of British daily life?


On a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being most), how do rate Coronation Street?
jia na da ren

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 7Rank: 7Rank: 7

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2010-12-9 03:10:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by canada_man at 2010-12-9 02:52
Coronation Street airs 6 times / week here. Quite amazing program cz it's now been running for 50 years!!!

Does this program give a realistic perception of British daily l ...


CANADA Man sorry I guess you thought I could give an answer, but can't.

Chao Ren VFP

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2010-12-9 03:49:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1584austin at 2010-12-9 03:10


CANADA Man sorry I guess you thought I could give an answer, but can't.

Chao Ren VFP

Maybe St George can help me out or possibly any other Brit. Thx  
jia na da ren

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2010-12-9 07:18:12 |Display all floors
The TV soap opera started in December 1960, just 13 episodes were planned at the time.  Nobody could have envisaged its huge success back then.

It does reflect daily British life to an extent i would say though of course its dramatised. Also when it originally started we had more of a sense of community than we do today.  The corner shop played a big roll in every neighbourhood for example, nowadays they hardly exist in favour of out-of-Town supermarkets.

When i was a kid i knew everybody in my street on first name terms, now i hardly know my immediate neighbours.  People keep themselves to themselves a lot more now.

I think we've lost something as a society in the sense of togetherness.  Coronation Street embodies the way we used to be and is appealling to all generations.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2010-12-9 10:05:46 |Display all floors
I don't watch Coronation Street, not my cuppa tea, but I am pissed of that "The Bill" was cancelled.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 5Rank: 5

Post time 2010-12-9 12:50:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2010-12-9 10:05
I don't watch Coronation Street, not my cuppa tea, but I am pissed of that "The Bill" was cancelled.


Yeah, I liked The Bill. I am a fan of the old British comedies really. I recently found "Yes Minister" on DVD here inChina and thoroughly enjoyed seeing it again.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2010-12-9 13:39:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by St_George at 2010-12-9 07:18
The TV soap opera started in December 1960, just 13 episodes were planned at the time.  Nobody could have envisaged its huge success back then.

It does reflect daily British life to an extent i  ...

thx a million! Now I understand Coronation Street much better.
Due to this, I'll probably watch it more frequently. Yes it is true. Times sure are changing.
jia na da ren

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.