Views: 3547|Replies: 5

Dongzhi vs Christmas [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-12-7 20:42:58 |Display all floors
Chinese people are more westernized nowadays.

They celebrate Christmas and Halloween more passionately than their traditional festivals like Dongzhi.

It's even more surprising that many rarely celebrate Dongzhi in their life time. But they look forward to Christmas each year.

December 25 was originally a European Winter Festival. And Jesus wasn't born on December 25. That makes Dongzhi more relevant than Christmas. In fact, seculars in America are introducing the term "Happy Holidays" to replace Christmas.

Dongzhi always come few days earlier than Christmas. This year, it falls on December 22.

China should aggressively promote Dongzhi as a big festival with its own culture and economy.

Both events should be celebrated equally and together.
Malaysian-born Chinese

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-7 23:38:47 |Display all floors

what we'd called, funny chinearse...

you're absolutely right on the dollar (whatever that currency is)...coz some of my Q firends are much more americanize than me, and these days i dont ever called myself a YANK anymore just dont want em to yankin me out of the tencent's chatgroup if you dig what i mean you jellybean  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-8 01:11:06 |Display all floors
What's Dongzhi about? I've never heard about it... Can u elaborate on that?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-8 01:26:16 |Display all floors

what's november 24th...

Originally posted by Everynowhere at 2010-12-7 09:11
What's Dongzhi about? I've never heard about it... Can u elaborate on that?

dongzhi is the winter solstice in china for families to get  together & make dumplings  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-8 01:58:24 |Display all floors
make dumplings

Great idea! I introduce Dongzhi too^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-9 12:19:35 |Display all floors
HK's celebration of Dongzhi is no different from us in Malaysia and Singapore.

Just go home drink "tangyuan". That's it.

My point is exactly that. Not enough emphasis is given to the event. There is not enough culture and economy for it.

The west has a strong Christmas culture and takes it to a new level of commercialization: snowflakes, presents, Santa Claus, mistletoe....etc.

The only thing that's strongly associated with Dongzhi is the red and white glutinous rice balls in ginger soup called "tangyuan". The radio may mention that day is Dongzhi. No songs
Malaysian-born Chinese

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.