Author: BingSilk

Obama uses gunboat diplomacy on North Korea and CHina [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-11-30 09:40:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mark069 at 2010-11-30 04:14

You mean the Spratly Islands? In addition to China,  Vietnam, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Malaysia, the Philippines and Brunei all lay claim to different parts of these islan ...

By the word 'powers', do you mean thos small southeast asian countries? Don't be riduculous!

If these countries can be called 'powers', I doubt if there is any non-powers.

With respect to the Yellow sea issue, what if China hold military exercise in South China's sea's 'international' water? No country will feel comfortable when the battleships and bombers of another country cruise before its doorsteps!

Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-30 09:49:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mark069 at 2010-11-30 04:14

You mean the Spratly Islands? In addition to China,  Vietnam, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Malaysia, the Philippines and Brunei all lay claim to different parts of these islan ...

By the way, I don't know there is any country called "the Republic of China". It's a historic term now!

There is only one China in the world!  That's common sense indeed!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-30 10:20:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengyinliuyong at 2010-11-29 17:40

By the word 'powers', do you mean thos small southeast asian countries? Don't be riduculous!

If these countries can be called 'powers', I doubt if there is any non-powers.

With respect to the Yellow sea issue, what if China hold military exercise in South China's sea's 'international' water? No country will feel comfortable when the battleships and bombers of another country cruise before its doorsteps!  

China fought a war with one of these "small southeast asian countries" in 1979 and by all accounts did not win this war so I would not call them "non-powers".

I think if China was attacked in the Yellow Sea (as South Korea was) she would be justified in holding military drills there.  Everyone says ROK should have held these drills further south but the whole point in holding drills is to prepare for battle and one the the learnings from these drills is familiarization with the local geography, climate, etc. which you would not get if you held these drills too far south.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-30 10:25:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengyinliuyong at 2010-11-29 17:49

By the way, I don't know there is any country called "the Republic of China". It's a historic term now!

There is only one China in the world!  That's common sense indeed!

I realize that China does not consider Taiwan to be a separate country but for all practical reasons it currently operates as a separate country (just like North Korea operates as a separate country from South Korea).  I'm not trying to be rude or hurtful - just practical.  

With that said, I do believe Taiwan will one day be PEACEFULLY reunited with mainland China.  I also believe North Korea will be reunited with South Korea - hopefully peacefully also.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-30 12:08:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mark069 at 2010-11-30 10:20

China fought a war with one of these "small southeast asian countries" in 1979 and by all accounts did not win this war so I would not call them "non-powers". ...

First of all, it was ROK who fired guns at the controversial waters in regardless of  the repeated warinings of DPRK. So at least ROK  is partially responsible for the conflict, although the reaction of DPRK  was a little too harsh.

Secondly, it is apparent that the main aim of the US-ROK joint drill is to overawe China, not DPRK. That's why we Chinese are so nervous about that.  The incident of the sunken warship "Cheonan" and the recently fire-exchange have offfered good excuses for US to take a serious of hostile actions toward China.

Finally, I should admit that China suffered great lossed in the war against Vietnam.But I have to make it clear that we won that war! Think of  the British people in the second world war, whose motherland was almost destroyed by German bombers and was almost reduced to a second-class country. If asked about who was the winner now, will their answer be ' Germamy'?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-30 13:53:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengyinliuyong at 2010-11-29 14:22

Well, Mr emucentral, you have done a very good job in making simple things complicated!

I do not think there is much difference betwween China's claim of Nansha Island and Britain's claim of M ...

The point I think Emu was trying to make is that the Falklands/Malvinas were found and have been continuosuly occupied by the British since discovery. The islands China lays claim to in the sotuh China sea, haven't been continuously occupied by China (probably) and the native folks on those islands, within a national boundary, should have the exclusive right(s) to said territories....kinda like the Torres Strait islanders inAustralia.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-30 16:53:58 |Display all floors
Obama will make the situation worse by his gunboat diplomacy, can't they come up with some peaceful method?As childish as N.K.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.