Author: BingSilk

Obama uses gunboat diplomacy on North Korea and CHina [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-11-28 15:47:43 |Display all floors
I too am confused by China's claim of sovereignty over Korea's western seaboard.    Also, how come China protests and brings up this issue when South Korea holds exercises off her west coast but remains silent when North Korea holds exercises off their west coast?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-29 05:20:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengyinliuyong at 2010-11-27 22:28
Then Britain's  claim of Malvinas Island will be ridiculous.
It's common sense that the territory of one country is decided not only by geographical factors but also historical factors.

Your ignorance truly knows no bounds.

The "Exclusive economic zone" is 200 nautical miles.
This means that fishing and mining within that zone is exclusive to the claimant country.
Other countries ships can travel freely within the EEZ but they cannot fish or mine without permission.

The "territorial waters" is 12 nautical miles. Foreign vessels need permission within that zone, although there are some limited rights.

The Falkland Islands are well over 200 nm from Argentina. They fall outside Argentina's territorial waters or EEZ.
China, on the other hand, claims territorial waters/EEZ over a thousand miles from her shore.

Apart from all that, the Falklands is a different issue to territorial waters, it has to do with discovery, occupation and so on.

Hope I've clarified the issue for you.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-29 11:49:51 |Display all floors

Reply #23 emucentral's post

Looks like eyeball to eyeball, China Vs. USA!

But, i reckon it's much more defused now compared to the condition in 1999!
USA won't get too much advantage, and China won't lose too much post 2012 consumer boom, at US$5,000 per capita!

Sit pretty, Captain Emu!
It's now EU crisis game as well!

ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-29 11:51:15 |Display all floors

We call this "Splitting the combatants" stratagem!

All in the interest of International trade and prosperity!

cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-29 14:22:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2010-11-29 05:20

Your ignorance truly knows no bounds.

The "Exclusive economic zone" is 200 nautical miles.
This means that fishing and mining within that zone is exclusive to the claimant countr ...

Well, Mr emucentral, you have done a very good job in making simple things complicated!

I do not think there is much difference betwween China's claim of Nansha Island and Britain's claim of Malvinas Island.

The claim of territory has much to do with discovery, occupation and so on
+
It was the British people that first discoverd  Malvinas Island and first occupied them!  
=
So the  Malvinas Island is Britain's territory !

The claim of territory has much to do with discovery, occupation and so on
+
It was we Chinese that first discoverd these islands and first occupied them!  
=
So the Nansha Islands are China's territory !

Quite simple!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-30 04:14:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengyinliuyong at 2010-11-28 22:22

Well, Mr emucentral, you have done a very good job in making simple things complicated!

I do not think there is much difference betwween China's claim of Nansha Island and Britain's claim of M ...

You mean the Spratly Islands? In addition to China,  Vietnam, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Malaysia, the Philippines and Brunei all lay claim to different parts of these islands and have small military forces on these islands.    China will either have to start a regional war with all these powers to sieze the islands and/or prove right of sovereignty to get control of this land.  Doesn't seem likely to me....

But the more important issue is freedom to navigate in the International Waters of the West Korean Sea - China cannot exclude other nations in this region from access to these waters with a claim of "exclusive economic zone" since these other countries could also claim the same (overlapping) "exclusive economic zone".  Common sense.....

[ Last edited by mark069 at 2010-11-29 12:16 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-30 07:47:13 |Display all floors
Because of the North Korean shelling, the US N George Washington is now in Yellow Sea (which China views as its pond) from there it can peep into China's 'bathroom and bedroom' - I mean Beijing - and see the interesting thing that is going on in there!!!

And China can't protest as loud-mouthly as it did last time!!!! Aha!!!
Taking Siberia? Well, see if you dare and can.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.